CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 AM   #1
Domien Van Gool

Profile:
Special population

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you have experiences with special population doing Crossfit. I.e. Parkinson's disease, MS,...
We are convinced that Crossfit would be beneficial for them, but were wondering which boxes run some classes and what their experiences are.

Dom
Belgium
Old 05-20-2016, 03:09 AM   #2
Sean J Hunter

Profile:
Re: Special population

Go over to Starting Strength.com

Although their focus is more on strength and less on conditioning, they do have extensive practical experiance applying the neuroendocrine response to special populations.

They have a Forum where questions are answered professionally and quickly.

HTH

Sean
Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
Domien Van Gool

Profile:

Thanks Sean!

I looked at it and it seems like a strong choice. :-)

Are you aware of CF boxes in the uses adopting these kind of athletes?

D.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

There are a number of CF journal articles re: serving special populations. cancer, Downs, elderly, etc.

Regarding using the neuroendocrine response (NER) as therapy for individuals, I couldn't agree more. And I have had limited experiance with a couple of individuals with CNS disorders.

Here's some ineducated thoughts.

There is arguably a tipping point for the NER, as can be shown in the differences in the specific hormones produces when comparing Mod training and High Intensity Training.

To reach this tipping point requires, understandably, quite a bit of work from the CNS. In people with desease processes, especially neuro, this could be a double edged sword.

In all three cases of individuals I've worked with, and sort out and paid for the advice from a exercise friendly free thinking doctor on advice on what KPIs to look for.

Fro example, if you're doing some volume training with a specific client, with the goal of pushing close to over training, there is a standard symptoms list that gives you some objective indicator of how close you are to pushing to hard.

You'd want a similar KPI for whatever the individuals issue is.

Make sense?

Also try old google --- Crossfit Parkinson
Or --- Parkinsons and exercise induced Neuroendocrine response as therapy...etc etc.
You'll be suprised what studies you can find out there.

Sean
Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

I am really impressed with the people at my box; CF Rocks .. i am carer for my brother ( now 60 yo) who has multiple disabilities resulting from brain damage during the birth process; right side hemiplegia, speech problems, communication problems, hearing impaired, epilepsy ect.

I have been doing CF since 2008 and I am kicking myself that i did not think to take my brother before this year. he has been having one on one sessions once a fortnight ( and i do little WODs with him at home ) .

I have watched him blossom:
he does rings rows, he can box jump onto the lowest boxes, he can skip, he has learned to run about and for the first time since i met him ( 2006) i have seen him relaxed laughing, his eyes twinkling as he chats with people, exercises and learns that yep he can do stuff.

for the first time in his life he is being treated as a man! not as a disabled person.

H
Old 06-19-2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Wow Helen,

I love these stories, thanks for sharing.

Sean