CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
Jeremy Jouette

Profile:
Re: Gastric sleeve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando Garcia View Post
dont know if this subject was ever brought up, so I figured why not.
At my employment it seems a handful of people are getting this procedure done. The coworkers are choosing this one over the "lap band", So I was wondering what this forum thinks about this particular procedure.

I myself seem to be thinking about it, since I'm 43 years old, 5'5 and 240lbs(have been this size for last 15 years or so) and been doing Crossfit for about 3 years. My diet has never been great, constantly fluctuating. Like i said just wanting to know opinions, or even from someone who has had it and what they think. Thanks
Fix your diet and the weight will come off as it should, Rolando.

That's my opinion, at least.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Rolando Garcia

Profile:
Gastric sleeve.

dont know if this subject was ever brought up, so I figured why not.
At my employment it seems a handful of people are getting this procedure done. The coworkers are choosing this one over the "lap band", So I was wondering what this forum thinks about this particular procedure.

I myself seem to be thinking about it, since I'm 43 years old, 5'5 and 240lbs(have been this size for last 15 years or so) and been doing Crossfit for about 3 years. My diet has never been great, constantly fluctuating. Like i said just wanting to know opinions, or even from someone who has had it and what they think. Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Why have a procedure like this done when you can fix the problem yourself? You aren't huge, you should be able to get under 200 lbs in less than six months if you apply yourself and stick to a healthy diet with a reasonable caloric deficit. It isn't rocket science, it is dedication and consistency.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

I'm going to profess my opinion comes solely from frequently watching TLC programs on gastric surgery, but here goes:

The surgery isn't magic. It doesn't alter body chemistry or cleanse your pantry of crappy food. It merely adds the motivation of "eat too much now, and you'll throw up." Is that really what you want it to come to? You're admitting you don't pay attention to your diet. You can still eat **** foods with a smaller stomach. Even if the initial restriction and caloric deficit does lead to initial weight loss, it WILL become a problem again if you never deal with your issues with food and diet. Your new, smaller stomach will restretch if you just gradually return to the previous volume you ate.

The one theme I see on all the TV shows I see about this is, there is a psychological underpinning that forms the basis of this problem with diet and food. Address those. See a good counselor/therapist. It will be much less expensive, far less physically traumatic and the benefits will last much longer than surgery. If you haven't yet, but I hope you have, seek out support from your box mates and/or coaches. They're there to inform, help and support.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Get off the sugar, soda, and crappy food and start making your own whole foods and you will be fine. As mentioned, surgery won't fix poor eating habits.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
Rolando Garcia

Profile:

Honestly, i cannot help think of how "easy" this would be for me to drop like 50+ pounds by xmas(just in time for tamale season) KIDDING. At the same time this thought has sparked a fire in me to prove to my co workers that this probably isn't the "right" way.