CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:
Apocalypse Strength Training

What specific movements would be most effective at improving your strength & conditioning for the apocalypse? What aspects of fitness would be most important? Not specifically a zombie apocalypse, just an end of society scenario.
For example, learning the progression to a bar muscle-up, then training bar muscle-ups would be incredibly effective at preparing your for climbing quickly over a fence to avoid a mob of frenzied survivors.

Another example would be using loaded carries to train for hauling heavy equipment or supplies back to your home base.
This isn't a thread for what equipment or weapons you would stockpile to be prepared, that's already covered on another thread: Are You Ready for the Apocalypse?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
Clint Harris

Profile:
Re: Apocalypse Strength Training

I'm not thinking muscle ups, more like just straight up wall climbs. I can jump up and climb a fence or wall, but can't do muscle ups. I do't really see the correlation.
What I may do is slam balls and sledge hammer strikes. Get used to smashing things. Maybe I'll get a baseball bat and poke it forcefully against a heavy bag over and over.
Then bench press and deadlift. You know, to push off the zombie that is trying to eat my face, or lift a car off of my friend before the hoard gets there.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #3

Profile:

It might be interesting to try out some fasting training as well. Just to see how depletion affects the body. Probably best not to throw heavy weight overhead while fasting though.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I think the most important factor in the apocalypse is endurance so if running is an option that is what I would go with. Instead of being in a bad situation it would be best to just get away and if you can run a decent distance then you are ahead of the majority of people out there. Also, I envision a scenario where roads are not an option, at least not with cars so if you needed to get somewhere it would be on either a bike or your own two legs.

If running doesn't count as a movement I would go with pull-ups or dead lifts. Both work grip strength which I could see coming in handy, pull-ups would help in climbing over things and dead lifts would be helpful because you always need to pick up heavy stuff.

I still feel like general endurance is key though because if it all hit the fan the best solution for someone like me living in a densely populated city would be getting out of said city.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Need to be able to run fast.

Need to be able to run under load. This means farmer/buddy carries and weighted vests but it would be better to just train with a weighted pack because a vest is not the same as a pack because it's balanced and all that.

Need to be strong as bull to move stuff and bludgeon the dead things.

So need to be able to sprint and run distances of 1-5 miles at a drop of a hat, possibly under load in gear. Of course you could just drop your gear but that's kind of stupid.

Parkour free running might be a good idea. Not flipping and doing tricks over random crap, just the basics of moving through obstacles, taking breakfalls and jumps and rolls. Old school parkour/free running.

Need to have the mobility to move and orient weapons if they are of the non Bang-bang types. You can actually wrench and irritate joints pretty easy with weapons if the jointsare not in good shape. Iaido practitioners often deal with tennis/golf elbow or shoulder problems (which is why they use tanren bokuto-big heavy wooden sword to build them up).

Fasted or sleep deprived training isn't a bad idea either besides being able to fall asleep in a few minutes (which seems that many people in the military learn while they serve).
Old 10-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #6
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
What aspects of fitness would be most important? Not specifically a zombie apocalypse, just an end of society scenario
In the post apocalyptic United States the most important of the 10 components of fitness would be Accuracy and Coordination. As in, accuracy with a gun, and coordination to handle and move with that gun. In a country with more guns than people it's not the zombies I'm worried about.

As for strength and conditioning, that will take a distant second, IMO, but the MovNat stuff will fit the bill well.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Climbing a fence might not seem hard till one adds 30+ lbs of junk on their body and back.

Learning how to do it with a rifle or such (or axe/sword/whatever) well that's even more fun.

Truth is common sense needs to be trained

Think self sustained away from large population and not getting into bad spots.

Team tactical training + a few really good friends is what is needed to survive longer than most...

Sad truth is what happens when Rich Fronning gets turned... Will he then solely destroy the world as the fittest zombie king on the planet?
Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #8

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
Sad truth is what happens when Rich Fronning gets turned... Will he then solely destroy the world as the fittest zombie king on the planet?
That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I'm just picturing a shirtless, trimmed chest hair, gelled hair zombie calmly stalking the Earth methodically picking men off.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith brianisrighthere View Post
That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I'm just picturing a shirtless, trimmed chest hair, gelled hair zombie calmly stalking the Earth methodically picking men off.
He'll have the perfect 5 oclock shadow, wicked Oakleys and headband too.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Depends if he is the Resident Evil kind of zombie which would make him damn scary or the run of the mill zombie that just falls apart and lumbers around.

Either way; fire, a claymore mine, or a shotgun will get the job done.