CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
In between strength cycles

Im just finishing up my first cycle of CFSB (8 weeks) Here are my gains thus far in terms of 5 rep maxes

BS - 245-265
Deadlift - 295-315
Bench - 165-185
Press - 120-135
FS - 195-225

These are all 5 rep maxes that i have achieved. As far as the back squat goes i KNOW i can do 270-275x5 now and the bench i can probably get 190x5 (ive been doing 3rm for those lately).

Next week im doing a CFT day to test my 1rm

Anyways, I obviously still could use some more strength so I would like to do another strength based program. I was thinking about CFFB.

Few questions though. Is there anything I should do next week as far as rest goes instead of jumping right into another strength cycle?

Ive heard of people talk of a deload week although im not quite sure what that is.

Would i benefit from another strength program right now? or should i switch to something more metcon focused such as MP. I love strength work (except high rep back squats, i despise them more than anything... even more than high rep thrusters or burpees) so it would suck not including it but ive been hitting the heavy lifts hard for 8 weeks now.

Last question. Am i even strong enough for CFFB?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: In between strength cycles

What are your goals? If they're to get stronger, you could have made those same gains on 2 weeks of SS or CFWF. Are you sure your form is good?

You would definitely benefit from more time with a strength-biased program, those numbers are still fairly low so strength is going to be a limiting factor for anything but the lightest weight metcons.

Deload weeks are typically only needed if you've stalled out or if you're lifting enough weight that you're putting severe stress on your recovery to require a rest. I'm more a believer in taking a few extra rest days if you feel run down or have nagging injuries.

You can do CFFB at any strength level. Unless you're squatting/deadlifting 600+lbs, you'll probably get stronger on it.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Im pretty certain on my form. I think the problem is in my diet. I simply dont think I eat enough. I logged a day on Fitday and it came out to like 2300 calories. Thats one thing ill definitely be working on. BTW im 160lbs 5"8. Not sure of my BF% estimated around 12%?

My goals are to get stronger. Specifically:

405 DL
315 BS
275 FS
185 Press
225 Bench (ill probably have this soon if not for one next week)

I would also like to be able to put up some decent metcon times. I dont have much expirence with metcon. When i started crossfit i jumped right into a strength program. Got hurt which took me out for awhile and then came back with this 8 week cycle. So Im a fairly new crossfitter but i'm not really sure as to where i stand in the benchmarks =/

PS: im not familiar with CFWF where can I find info on that?

Last edited by Michael Zoda : 09-28-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post
Im pretty certain on my form. I think the problem is in my diet. I simply dont think I eat enough. I logged a day on Fitday and it came out to like 2300 calories. Thats one thing ill definitely be working on. BTW im 160lbs 5"8. Not sure of my BF% estimated around 12%?
No, probably not enough, especially if you're trying to build muscle. Plenty of small women on this board (myself among them) eat about that much.

Katherine