CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
A question for the floor:
Okay, we all know crossfit is a very demanding program, even for those of us who are seasoned athletes and bodybuilders. And as with any workout program, excessive exercise and muscle usage can lead to muscle plateau and/or injury. My question is...do people here take breaks after a while? I mean, I've been doing crossfit for a solid 3 months now (plus a year of solid workouts before that). My muscles are fine (I think) but I decided that I would take a week off and try to give my body a chance to make a full recovery. Is that too long or perhaps unnecessary? Would any veteran crossfiters care to comment from their own experiences? THX so much!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
Douglas W. Hathaway

Profile:
Benjamin,

Larry Lindenman is the go to guy for this. Search the message boards for rest and his name. He basically recommends a week off every three months if I'm not mistaken, along with some weeks of half intensity. Best to get it from the source though. After three months, you should be ready for a little rest. I know that I felt great after taking a week off crossfit to just do some active rest.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Steven L Blondeau

Profile:
While not a veteran crossfitter( five months) I've been involved with physical cultivation for over 20 years. If I want to rest I rest. It's easy to get caught up in the notion that if a day is missed I'm "getting behind" or not making "progress". Over the continuum of a life does it make much difference? What's most important is consistency and being dedicated to a lifestyle that is healthy and challenging. I've never chained myself to any type of schedule. Most days I workout. I'm using the XF/Black Box hybrid and I tend to go 3/1 and then 2/1. Occasionally I'll go 3/1 and 3/1. If it feels appropriate to not do XF or ME I'll just take a cruise on one of my bikes, do yoga, skateboard, walk the dogs, play disc golf, or do nothing. I've done everything from college athletics to adventure racing and I'm still fascinated by the ways the body responds to a challenge. Physical training and a healthy lifestyle are part of who I am not an add on. Listen to your body, experiment, learn new skills, and do whatever it takes to stay hungry. Whatever keeps you in it for life versus going hard for a few months than laying off and going soft is the Way. It's different for everyone. There is no "best" schedule that can be applied across the board.

Enjoy the rest and come back ready for more.

(Message edited by steven_blondeau on July 09, 2007)
Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

I have been thinking about when to rest myself and came to a good schedual for me. Every 6 weeks i take 3-4 days off to rest, that seems to rest my body enough. 6 weeks seems like a good schedual to do that, but i go 5/6 on 1/2 off most weeks so....i have a different purpose than others.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Benjamin,

Here is a link to the same question I asked recently. There is a link to Larry Lindenman's rest suggestions in the last post.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/42125.html (W/F/S)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Benjamin W Herbert

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated! In case anyone is curious, I went ahead and found Larry's answer to this question and I'll post it here:

Weeks 1-3: 3/1 WOD full strength.

Week 4: WOD half volume, 50% time, distance, or reps, whatever makes more sense.

Repeat three times.

Week 12: Rest week, go out and play with H2H kettlebell drills, rings, trampoline, whatever. Have fun but don't do the WODs.

So there you have it...I'm sure there are other variations but this seems pretty good to me.