CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Alyson Conway

Profile:
Question Spinal Fusion

Hey everybody. I have had a spinal fusion 11mo ago and am ready to become more aggressively training. In the past I was a step aerobics/spinnig nut and was in ok shape, never quite got into the weights part of it. Hence, I never had that wonderful muscle developement. Post surgery I had committed to building a better body. I want those kick *** muscles and definition, and I also want the heart help of cardio. My hesitation is the titanium rods in my back. The excercises seem very movement based/cause and effect, ie chin up. This being said have no fear that I would start slow, any suggestions to incorporate into my routine to slowly get my bod to wake up. I love that intense feeling after you work out, like you actually did some work on your body not just sweat.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Re: Spinal Fusion

I would suggest:

#1 Find an area CF affiliate and get some one on one coaching to make sure your technique is flawless.

#2 Start exceptionally slow and master the basic CF warm up especially air squat and OHS

#3 Spend 20 or 30 hours reading as much as you can on the CF site "start here", "FAQ", watch lots of the videos on exercise form.

#4 see #2 and make sure to scale everything if in doubt.