CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #2551
Scott Moore.

Profile:
Re: Seen at the globo yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hale View Post
Only problem is the ground outside is on a slight slope - I'd have the bar either bashing me in the shins or I'd be chasing after it!

I just can't believe people aren't bothered by standing less than a foot away from someone who is hoiking a s**tload of iron into the air towards their face as fast as they possibly can!

Maybe it really is natural selection a globo loiterer being killed by a crossfitter mid WOD it really would be survival of the fittest!!!
I think it'd be a candidate for a Darwin award
http://pantherfit.blogspot.com/And those who had seen it told how he who had been possessed with demons was healed -Luke 8:36
Old 07-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #2552
Kevin Cox

Profile:

i just started doing Starting Strength at a globo. is it ok to do my presses at the squat rack? i can do my whole work out in one spot and not even see anyone else in the gym. its kinda nice..
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #2553
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
i just started doing Starting Strength at a globo. is it ok to do my presses at the squat rack? i can do my whole work out in one spot and not even see anyone else in the gym. its kinda nice..
I do that too, but will move if someone wants to use the rack. Fortunately, I know the only other person who uses the squat rack and know when he wants to do squats or shrugs and I will always move for that reason. You can always just clean the weight for presses if needed, and doing so can even act as a warmup for the cleans you will be doing next in your SS workout.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #2554
Jeff Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
I do that too, but will move if someone wants to use the rack. Fortunately, I know the only other person who uses the squat rack and know when he wants to do squats or shrugs and I will always move for that reason. You can always just clean the weight for presses if needed, and doing so can even act as a warmup for the cleans you will be doing next in your SS workout.
And, I forget where I heard from (somewhere on these boards I reckon), cleaning the weight sort of preps the body for lifting heavy overhead, making it "easier" and allowing for a higher max. I'd search for it, but I'm sure it would take a long time to find that here.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #2555
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wilson View Post
And, I forget where I heard from (somewhere on these boards I reckon), cleaning the weight sort of preps the body for lifting heavy overhead, making it "easier" and allowing for a higher max. I'd search for it, but I'm sure it would take a long time to find that here.
I have consistently found that I can press more weight if it's cleaned than if it's lifted off a rack. Don't know why. I've theorized that it is something like the above (preps the body), stores some sort of elastic energy, or that I'm using a different grip or rack position when cleaned without realizing it.

I say just clean the weight up for your SS routine. It's only 3 extra power cleans and your press weight shouldn't be too close to your max clean weight (if it is you need to work on cleans more, hehe).
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #2556
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

So I was at the YMCA around 5PM today, rush hour, and this young guy walks into the aerobics class area, which is mostly empty. He's wearing Vibram KSOs, which I don't think I've ever seen in a globo before, and he has a jump rope with him. So he goes into one corner and starts doing practicing double unders. All of the aerobic steps and risers (you know, the giant building blocks) are put away in one corner in several big piles, and presently he goes over and starts positioning two stacks of risers and putting a single step across the top, making one colossal step to do box jumps. He's stacking them fairly high, and after each rep he'll rest a bit, then add another riser to each side and make another attempt (I'm sure you can see where this is going). So finally the megastep has reached critical mass, and there are about fifteen little risers under each side. This time, when he tries to jump on it, the balls of his feet hit the slanted forward edge of the step, so he falls backwards and lands flat on his back (on a hardwood floor), while at the same time the whole megastep (and all the sacks next to it) go crashing down with a sound like Niagra Falls. To compound the hilarity, the gym manager and two trainers are just walking by at the time. He just gets up like nothing is wrong and walks it off like he just doesn't care. I was trying not to laugh....oh wait, that was me.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #2557
Eddie Watts

Profile:

that's pretty funny Jacob.
yesterday at the gym a BB type was doing seated shoulder presses with 40+kgs for reps.

meanwhile i was getting all of the odd looks due to my 10 minutes of tabata squats which left me hobbling to the mats for a lie down at the end!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #2558
Renee Lee

Profile:

Was going to post this last night, but i was still reeling:

I brought my barbell into the gym yesterday afternoon. Their bars don't spin (at least i didn't think they did) and i was going to be power cleaning and didn't feel like breaking my wrists. In and out with no problems whatsoever, except for some minor joshing on the way out.

I go back several hours later with my mom, with the intent of having her do DT. Her clean is the ugliest thing i've ever seen (she reverse curls like it's her job), so i grabbed one of the tiny aluminum bars that couldn't have weighed more than 5lbs and took her through the burg warmup. Things were looking good!! She actually had a 3rd pull!

A trainer comes over and asks me what sport i play.
Me: "I don't...i CrossFit, as does my mom."
Trainer: "CrossFit uses snatches, then?"
Me: "yep, and cleans, jerks...you know...they do a little bit of everything"
Trainer: "for power right?"
Me: "yep"
Trainer: "just what she needs, right? explosiveness off the ball"
I thought he was joking, so i giggled and he went on his way.

after we finished the warmup, i had her switch to the clean with the aluminum. her elbows weren't getting up there, but she was shrugging and dropping (a little) under the bar, so i figured the problem would fix itself with some weight. I moved towards the women's bar they have there (which spun...imagine my surprise), reminding her "big shrug, fast elbows...haha, i'm a little worried to be honest with you, mom...but you got it!" and the trainer reappears.

him: "i'm worried too"
me: "she'll be fine, 35's a easy weight for her. if she had the technique she'd easily have a 65#+ clean"
him: "i refuse to stand here and watch her get hurt, she has no reason to be doing this...cleans are a completely inappropriate exercise for a woman, do me a favor, take her downstairs and put her through one of the full body circuits on the machines"
me: "uh...no...machines are terrible and she's doing just fine with a metal bar in her hands"
him: "i've just watched her do a ton of cleans wrong, and you're going to give her weight? she doesn't have the lower back or core strength to do it, put her on the machines"
me: *headdesk* My mother can deadlift over a 100lbs and squat a similar amount. her strength can handle 35 ****ing pounds!
[argument continues, while he points out his BS in ex and phys science and his certification. he then threatens to make us leave]
me: okay...explain to your boss how you just lost two memberships. have a good night!

so angry...seriously.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #2559
Departed

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Was going to post this last night, but i was still reeling:

I brought my barbell into the gym yesterday afternoon. Their bars don't spin (at least i didn't think they did) and i was going to be power cleaning and didn't feel like breaking my wrists. In and out with no problems whatsoever, except for some minor joshing on the way out.

I go back several hours later with my mom, with the intent of having her do DT. Her clean is the ugliest thing i've ever seen (she reverse curls like it's her job), so i grabbed one of the tiny aluminum bars that couldn't have weighed more than 5lbs and took her through the burg warmup. Things were looking good!! She actually had a 3rd pull!

A trainer comes over and asks me what sport i play.
Me: "I don't...i CrossFit, as does my mom."
Trainer: "CrossFit uses snatches, then?"
Me: "yep, and cleans, jerks...you know...they do a little bit of everything"
Trainer: "for power right?"
Me: "yep"
Trainer: "just what she needs, right? explosiveness off the ball"
I thought he was joking, so i giggled and he went on his way.

after we finished the warmup, i had her switch to the clean with the aluminum. her elbows weren't getting up there, but she was shrugging and dropping (a little) under the bar, so i figured the problem would fix itself with some weight. I moved towards the women's bar they have there (which spun...imagine my surprise), reminding her "big shrug, fast elbows...haha, i'm a little worried to be honest with you, mom...but you got it!" and the trainer reappears.

him: "i'm worried too"
me: "she'll be fine, 35's a easy weight for her. if she had the technique she'd easily have a 65#+ clean"
him: "i refuse to stand here and watch her get hurt, she has no reason to be doing this...cleans are a completely inappropriate exercise for a woman, do me a favor, take her downstairs and put her through one of the full body circuits on the machines"
me: "uh...no...machines are terrible and she's doing just fine with a metal bar in her hands"
him: "i've just watched her do a ton of cleans wrong, and you're going to give her weight? she doesn't have the lower back or core strength to do it, put her on the machines"
me: *headdesk* My mother can deadlift over a 100lbs and squat a similar amount. her strength can handle 35 ****ing pounds!
[argument continues, while he points out his BS in ex and phys science and his certification. he then threatens to make us leave]
me: okay...explain to your boss how you just lost two memberships. have a good night!

so angry...seriously.

Just reading that story, I am now furious. I can not believe even a globo trainer would do something so stupid and ridiculous as that.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #2560
Albert Chang

Profile:

I have a more... positive story, I guess you could say. I'm at the globo doing squats. Light, only 225 lb. There's these guys next to me doing seated presses on the smith machine. I recognize one of the guys as being the school bully back in elementary school who made life hell for me.

Anyway, they're talking about how some guy they know can do a 500 lb squat. The bully looks over at me and asks his buddy, "are those squats?"

"yes, but this guy is doing full squats. [other guy's name] didn't go all the way down. I like the full squats better."

"Oh I could never imagine doing those. I would be too afraid of breaking myself."

I couldn't help but smile a little inside.