CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Is Crossfit HQ to harsh on some and lets some slide a bit

Over the last few years CF HQ has given out some punishments that seem harsh to some people and not harsh enough to others.

Danielle Sidel- Video denied no score thus out of the regionals. I believe that she was at Army School and that was all of the time she had.

Josh Golden- Video denied no score thus out of the regionals (I did watch the video and the standards were horrible)

Fast forward a few years-
Josh Bridges- Video was attached a 15% penalty. Allowed to go to the regionals
His video was crap to say the least. The people doing the workout around him were crap also. Dude is a beast and I am sure his wants to show the world he is back got in the way of not re doing the workout.
I forgot what team (Team Conjugate?) used the short plates on 16.1 but they installed a penalty for the whole team.

Laura Phelps-Sweatt- did not take the test which is an admission of guilt- HQ kicked the whole team out no Regionals.

Masters Champ Shawn Ram- best guy in the world and love him and Crossfits darling little brother James G were both assessed a penalty on the only video they turned in.

I have seen others turn in a score for Masters Qual and have the workout disqualified (2 years ago and last year). They were in the top 20 also. No games for them. One of them is a friend of mine who I have competed with and he is legit for sure.

I saw that 2 years ago OPT's video was dinged a few seconds in a wall ball workout. I know that he pushes the limits and uses the slam ball for a wall ball.

Basically seems like Crossfit wings it a little and makes up new rules. In the spirit of the games stuff like that.

I know its hard to do this for them. Because people push the line for sure and they like that. But making up things as they go or re making things after it happens is not ok.

I think that if one video is suspect they should immediately turn in all of the videos.

I don't think that the penalty thing is working. You either pass or no pass.

I have seen some videos pass that left you thinking "Wow" and they passed.

Maybe the video should be made public if not all ready done?

What are your thoughts on how to deal with this stuff and make it fair and consistent?
Old 06-08-2016, 01:22 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Is Crossfit HQ to harsh on some and lets some slide a bit

I think a no cut rule would be fine.. either PASS or NO PASS.

When some get 15% penalties and other get thrown out is not right.

The whole thing is deafting the the system, but if you know there is a risk and you will get a no pass then the athletes will think twice about taking a risk.

Is CFHQ looking for quantity or quality?

They have judges they have the workout details and movement standards. So due to the fact that quality is suffering then CFHQ must only be out for quantity. Not meeting the standards does not move CF forward and it will not evolve.

The only way to lift CF and the open to a new level is a clear cut ruling, your video will either be passed or rejected. CFHQ might then have their own internal rule to how they handle the situation and ruling but something really needs to be done.

Its not CFHQ that is the problem, its the athletes trying to get through it to get as high score as possible by not meeting the standards correctly.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #3
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

The only problem with pass/fail is what if you have like, one sketchy rep? You don't open your hips all the way on just one box jump out of 100. Now your entire video is thrown out and your Open is over? Doesn't seem fair. I think the current system is better than that. Agreed that the rules aren't always enforced unilaterally though. I think if you are a regionals athlete or are on the cusp and they deem your video no good, you should have the chance to do it over and resubmit. Make it so on your retest the best you can do is your previous score, and if you are short of that then that will replace your previous score.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

No mercy on drug testing. I like the fact the whole team gets the boot. Put more social pressure on people not to use banned PEDs. I'm sure Laura is not real popular with her teammates right now. Choose your team mates carefully.

No mercy on individuals or groups who's intent is to game the contest. Non standard equipment being the lead example. If HQ fails to specify something like bar over burpees should be done over a bar with standard bumper plates on it the competitors should know better. If you think you found a way to make it easier you are probably violating the spirit of competition.

Rep quality for a regional qualified competitor should be pass, fail or do over with in time limit. If it is deemed a do over (too many bad reps, bad camera angle and so on) it must be submitted by the deadline or it is a fail. All workouts should be taped and videos uploaded to a public site. Anything that creates a buzz gets reviewed by HQ.

The reality is maybe 10 men and women are actual contenders to win The Games. For everyone else it is just trying to get to the highest level you can. We should promote the levelest playing field possible.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

I like the system of assessing major and minor penalties rather than a pass/fail system.

I think for video reviews that assess a penalty for athletes that are going to Regionals, and for Masters that are going to the Games, that the video and the resulting penalty should be made public.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I think if you are a regionals athlete or are on the cusp and they deem your video no good, you should have the chance to do it over and resubmit. Make it so on your retest the best you can do is your previous score, and if you are short of that then that will replace your previous score.
I could definitely get behind this idea. If an athlete seems to have made an honest effort (not using smaller plates or blatantly shorting the movement), then give them a chance to redeem themselves.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Khara Chunn

Profile:

Here's one that will make you scratch your head. This is the #1 ranked female in the 60+ division. The ring dips don't even come close to meeting the standard but HQ accepted her video, while disqualifying some others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwAl2ITbrQ (wfs)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khara Chunn View Post
Here's one that will make you scratch your head. This is the #1 ranked female in the 60+ division. The ring dips don't even come close to meeting the standard but HQ accepted her video, while disqualifying some others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwAl2ITbrQ (wfs)
These were acceptable reps? The standard says:

Quote:
The dip begins and ends with the athlete in a support position above the rings with the elbows fully locked out. Kipping the dip is acceptable.

In the bottom position, the shoulder must pass below the top of the elbow and the hips must travel below the rings. If the hips remain in-line horizontally with the rings, it is a no rep.
Her reps in this clip meet both definitions of "no rep:" shoulders are above elbows, and hips are horizontal to rings.

I couldn't find the original video on youtube. I can't tell what response the judge has to these reps.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Should be #1 disqualified for sure. I have seen people push the limits I am sure that we all have.. these are not even close. If anyone was dqed in this event then maybe they were worse.. if possible. Heck she is a beast but she did not complete the workout with those standard.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:55 AM   #10
Alex Burden

Profile:

Disqualified, I don't think anyone in the world has a 2 inch full range of motion to complete a dip.

This was a joke, sorry CFHQ should have had higher standards.