CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Thomas Beasley

Profile:
i recently started playing around with my own home made equipement this week. i started off small with a 11kg medicine ball and 11kg snad bag. i now want to try to my hand at some pvc rings.

has anyone tried to close the rings together? everything i read had people leaving them open at the ends. my idea is to use a joint to close it up. has anyone tried this and if so how did the rings turn out.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Sounds a bit more difficult. It would be more esthetically appealing to the eye perhaps, but seems unnecessary.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I have webbing running through mine, which is tied off in the gap with a bowline knot; the other end of the webbing is long and I use it to hang the rings by. I could be wrong, but it seems like the webbing running through the rings helps a lot with added strength - after all, it's just PVC holding my big 225 lbs up. The webbing seems to distribute the stress over the entire ring, rather than focusing it at one point the way it would be if you did it the way you are proposing.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
James Falkner

Profile:
I wanted to glue the ends together too after heating the PVC but it's not gonna happen without really heating it up, almost to the point of melting (which you'd need if you are gonna weld the ends together) -- sounds dangerous as super-heated PVC gives off lots of poison.

As far as safety, I ran a thick chain through my PVC after it cooled, and that is what the straps are actually attached to (as opposed to attaching the strap directly to the PVC) -- so if the pvc cracks or fails in any way, the chain is really the thing holding me up, and that's rated to over 2000 lbs (as are the tie-down straps I use) -- I think the weak link in my setup is the pullup bar I hang the rings from is attached to the roof trusses using 2x4's and giant bolts. I think that if you hung enough weight in it, 1the 2x4 would split where it is attached to the other 2x6 truss using 1/2" bolts. I hope this is more support than I'll ever need. I can't do many swinging movements on it since it's close to the ceiling so I think I'm OK.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
Lee Lister

Profile:
I ran some webbing through the PVC ring with a small buckle that tighten and inserted inside the PVC. This closed off the ring with only a small gap left. I then cut a small piece of PVC pipe, about 50cm, sliced in half length wise and flared slightly so it would sit over the top of the join. A screw on either side of the join holds the ring together nicely.
I put some duct tape over this section to reduce any rubbing happening against the arms. I also place the straps over this area when I use the rings. I originally planned for these to be my test rings with the intention of making another pair, but they worked out better than I thought and will do until I can buy a set...
Hope this helped, Lee