CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Saturday 060520

It was technically an off day, but i went to an intermediate/advanced level kettlebell lifting seminar put on by Gregg Althen, RKC. Gregg is from Novato, but comes to Sacramento twice a year to do Kettlebell seminars. I attended the beginner seminar in March and learned a lot, so off to the fancy stuff i went!!

Seminar went great. It was outdoors in a park so that we could enjoy the good weather and work on a lot of release moves. We started out with some more intermediate stuff such as single leg deadlifts and pistols and then moved into windmills, turkish get-ups and arm bars. After that it was all about various releases and flips, both 1 handed and 2 handed.

All in all, it was very good and i highly recommend his seminars(only $55) if you are ever in the Novato, Sacramento or Denver areas (he teaches in denver at various times throughout the year, as well). His website is www.kettlebellinstructor.com and it lists his schedule.

And also...I was sore as hell from my "off" day!!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #2
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Sunday 060521
"Lynne"

Five rounds for max reps of:
Body weight bench press
Pull-ups

Bodyweight = 182 lbs.

Round / Bench Press(185 lbs) / Pull-ups
1 / 16 / 21
2 / 12 / 17
3 / 11 / 16
4 / 10 / 13
5 / 9 / 12
Total / 58(-3) / 79(+9)

Notes - CFWUx3 before (minus pull-ups and dips).
- all pull-ups dead hang.

This is definitely one of my favorite workouts, just for the way you feel afterwords!! I got less reps on the bench than the last time i did this and i know 2 reasons why: 1)we bench press so infrequently that the movement feels completely awkward to me when we do it. The weight feels heavy and i feel like i am learning a movement pattern all over again. 2) Losing bodyweight does not help. Therefore, my goal is to work on this a little, somehow, and get my bodyweight up. My pull-up total went up (+9), which i was thrilled about, for 2 reasons, as well: 1) All the practice we do has greatly improved them. 2) The first time i did this i don't think i took each set to that absolute failure point where i can't budge myself. I feel there were sets where there were 1 or 2 left in the tank. This time i went all out!!

So, after the delayed posts from the weekend, i'm off to hit todays WOD...just as soon as i figure out which of the 3 substitutions for rowing that were mentioned in the comments, that i will use. I have no access to a rower, and i'm leaning towards the SDHP.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Monday 060522

Row 1000 meters
85 pound Thruster, 21 reps
15 Pull-ups

Row 750 meters
85 pound Thruster, 18 reps
12 Pull-ups

Row 500 meters
85 pound Thruster, 15 reps
9 Pull-ups

Rest 2 minutes between each round. Time each round separately.

subs = subbed sumo deadlift high pulls for rowing (have no rower!!!) 100 for round 1, 75 for round 2, 50 for round 3. All with 45 lb. bar.

rd. 1 time = 7:56
rd. 2 time = 6:27
rd. 3 time = 4:33

This one had pukie knockin' more than any other WOD that i've done....and i loved it!!! Definitely one of my favorites so far. I really wish i had a lot of extra $$$ to spring for a rower, because those SDLHPs were awful!!!! Funny that i thought i had turned in a pretty good time...til i saw some of the other times posted. I have a lot of respect for all the beasts out there!!! I will join the ranks at some point!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Tuesday 060523
"Michael"

Three rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups (all w/ abmat, feet anchored)

time = a disappointing 27:27

Felt like i could turn in a good time on this one, but it just didn't happen. For one, my running was at about 80%. My leg has just started to feel a lot better since i injured it running the 10k a little while back, so i decided to take it easy on the runs a bit. Hopefully i'll be able to run at full speed in a couple weeks. Also lost a little time waiting for the back extensions. The gym only has 2 and there were 7 of us doing the WOD...made for a little waiting time!! I won't complain too much, though, I'll gladly sacrifice a minute or two to have the increased competitiveness and comraderie of 6 other people!!

Looking forward to a rest day, as my body is very sore (which is a VERY good thing) from sunday and monday's WODs!!

Old 05-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Thursday 060525

Complete as many rounds as you can in twenty minutes of:

5 Handstand push-ups
12 Pull-ups

subs = none
rounds = 10 + 5 HSPUs

Not as good as i was hoping for, but some positive came of it. The pull-ups killed me as i couldn't catch my breath. Good news is that all the HSPU practice i've been doing paid off nicely. Not one set of the HSPU's had to be broken and i don't think any set took more than 20 seconds!! Lost a little in transition time from one exercise to the next, but oh well.

looking back at the total numbers from the workout(55 HSPUs, 120 pull ups) makes me a little happier...almost forgetting the pathectic # of rounds!!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Friday 060526

Four rounds for time of:
Run 400 meters
50 Squats

subs = none
time = 11:16

Not the fastest time, but definitely the best i could do today. I was more than pleased that i was able to run at close to 100% with no pain whatsoever in my right leg. It's been well over a month since that's happened. i also have to add that taking off on a 400m after 50 squats is just silly!!!! i've never felt such fatigue in my legs before...well done coach!!

On a more negative note, i can't begin to express how frustrated i am that tomorrows WOD is 30 muscle-ups for time. I have been looking forward to this workout since i ordered my rings. Problem is, i still don't have them. Therefore, i will go ahead and do the 120/120 and get a comparitively half-assed workout. I will be inserting this WOD when i get my rings, that's for sure!!
Old 05-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Russ Greene

Profile:

Bar muscleups?
Old 05-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I have my rings and I'll still be doing the 120/120!! :-(
Old 05-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
Saturday 060527
For time:
30 Muscle-ups

sub = 120 pull-ups (dead hang) + 120 bar dips
time = 24:55

Not real fast, that's for sure. My pull-up endurance was kind of shot today. After the first few sets fatigue was setting in quicker than normal. Dips went very well. Seems that endurance on those is improving. If i could just get pull-ups and dips on the same page.....

As a note, pull-ups were done alternating pronated grip and supinated grip every 30 reps.

Russ - I'll have to play with bar muscle-ups a little more. I've tried them a couple times and could get 2 consecutively before my wrists couldn't take it, but i'll work on it. I appreciate the suggestion.

Anthony - I'm very jealous that you have your rings!! I really enjoyed your video of the tire drags using them...i almost felt as if i had my own...then reality struck with todays WOD!!! I do like your custom sub of 60/60. A very fair sub, indeed. I have only been on rings once and that was with Robb Wolf up at crossfit norcal about 6 weeks ago. My first try resulted in 3 consecutive muscle-ups, but i'm not real sure how 30 would go. I may have to do an Anthony sub as well!!!! Hopefully i'll have mine in the near future. My order is only 300 away, but i've got no email yet.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
If you got 3 muscleups, you're 3 ahead of me! I was very humbled when I first got on the rings, but I'm going to keep hitting them.

Nice work on the 120/120 ... I doubt I could hit that time even with the bar.