CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Roque Corona

Profile:
Is it more important to avoid "butt wink" or squat deep?

I know there have been a lot of threads on this, but I've never seen this question asked directly. Basically, after video taping myself I've come to notice I have a slight butt wink once I go below parellel on my squats. I've always tried to go ATG on my squats, but I'm wondering now if I should reconsider that to avoid injury.

Would it be smarter of me to avoid the butt wink and not go as deep on my squats, or can I squat ATG regardless of it (while simultaneously working on my hip and hamstring flexibility to reduce the wink, but also keeping that deep squat strength)?

I'll point out that I've been squatting for more than a year without realizing I was butt winking and got up to a 315 ATG squat without ever being injured.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Dylan Forbes

Profile:
Re: Is it more important to avoid "butt wink" or squat deep?

Go past parallel every single squat.

Butt wink isnt that much of an issue in my opinion. Do some hip mobility work and focus on tracking knees over feet and it normally goes away.

Post video if you havent already.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Roque Corona

Profile:

Here's the video: http://youtu.be/dSRm7We2a70

I tried moving slowly through it to feel out where I was tilting - that's why it looks odd. If anyone sees any other glaring ****ups with my squat, let me know.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Joshua Parrish

Profile:

I am not as advanced with some of these movements as others here, but it appears to me that you could rotate those femurs out a bit and open up the hips a bit more. I only say this because your vid looks very familiar to me as I have that problem too. Squat ladder from 135 to max weight focusing strictly on form, not weight, helps me tremendously. The weight will increase automatically as you push yourself to increase it with good form. Do 10 lb increments and treat it like a clinic for yourself. Also, maybe video the whole thing, pay attention to when you start to lose form (which weight), and stay at that weight until you nail it. Then so on and so on. Hope that helps!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Man, I don't know nearly as much as everyone else here claims to know, but I've got a feeling that that curvature in your low back at the very bottom of the squat can't be good...

Also, are you doing high bar squats?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

Can someone define butt wink? Is it pelvis tucking under or lumbar flexion? If former, it's no big deal and probably impossible to correct. If latter, stretch your ankles and calves a tonne.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Can someone define butt wink? Is it pelvis tucking under or lumbar flexion? If former, it's no big deal and probably impossible to correct. If latter, stretch your ankles and calves a tonne.
I see people refer to the "butt wink" mostly regarding a tucking of the pelvis.

In the video the OP posted he definitely seems to be losing lumbar flexion. I feel like you could almost fix it just by fighting harder for it. You fight real hard to a certain point and then just kind of give up and fall into the bottom. At the point where you feel like you can't stay tight any longer try harder. Think about keeping your chest up and tight, flex your middle and lower back as hard as you can think about continuing to sit back instead of just down. I know your hips should be going back AND down, but if you just think "back back back" it might help you to stay tighter.

Other than that, what Struan said. A lot of calf stretches, and I would add hamstrings too. My position continued to improve along with hamstring flexibility.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

That looks like a combination of things but poor flexibility is likely the culprit. I would be concerned based off this video. You seem to have strength for the squats but it all falls to pot once you hit the hole. Try some plates under your feet and hit hammies and calves for stretches. Put the bar on your shoulder and hang out in the hole for awhile.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

I ageree with matt. Plus you are breaking knees and hips at the same time. lead with your hips( sit back from the top) way back. and shove your knees out from the top and fight to keep them out at the bottom up. I bet that will help.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #10
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Edit: In my post I meant to say he seems to be losing lumbar extension. He IS flexing