CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-31-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Just looking for some feedback as to when I should start ring dips with my boys ( mainly 9-10, though in time I could have as young as 6 or 7 ). Right now, the top 2 can hold for 20-40 sec parallel slight turn out. However, their dip performance seems to be subpar. I've seen them do 2 or 3 on rings fairly poorly though they can control the rings. More so, I'm worried about damage to the chestbone in these youths. Adversely, the same sort of damage can occur in an adult I believe if done too early.

Just looking for whatever everyone else is using. I have a much better idea for adults but those individuals seem to have a higher strength base for dips ( at least the ones I considered for learning ring dips, MU ).

I'm of the opinion right now to start ring dips when they can do full ROM pbar dips in excess of 5 and after they can stabilize the rings for 20-30 seconds. Part of this is I don't want them to fail in a dip with the rings flying to the sides and having them rip apart their chestbone or damage it ( I've heard of this happening during support work with young boys in similar movements ).

I could do partial assisted BW, but they didn't seem to get the point when we have tried a few times ( I don't have jumpbands and I could get some theraband though ). I could stabilize the rings or spot them ( which I might and do when learning supports or presses), but I'm hoping dips are something I can go send them to do on their own be it regular, rings, or partial BW dip progressions or simply pushups.

Thanks, all.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
A good base would be parallel bar dips around 5 as you said.

Holding time it doesn't matter I think. Shoot for minute. Just put them in support on rings at least 3 or so total minutes during your practice. That will make their stabilizers strong very fast. The more they're on rings, the faster they'll get stronger and be ready to progress.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Crossfit kids website has a video on the MU, showing Conor going doing MUs when he's 13 and 15, and the support exercises they use to help people with the transition.

You could use some of these to help with the dips. Essentially it's working from sitting/squatting/jumping into the transition/dip phase of the MU.

Hope this helps,
Colm