CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Richard Ferron

Profile:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a climbing rope and am wondering in what material to buy it. The local boat shop don't recommend buying manila since it's suppose to be real hard on the hands (can get shards) and they suggest nylon but isn't it too slippery? There also seem to be different manila rope...cheap one made from wood or expensive one from Philippines which they could order. Also, the nylon they have in stock is 2'' thick... is this too wide?

Thanks for your help

Richard
Quebec, Canada
Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
William Henniger

Profile:
Richard,

I recommend the 1.5" Manila climbing rope, I haven't heard any bad reports back yet. The manila is actually easier to grip than the nylon. I have two of them in my gym and no complaints.

Doug at Hyperfit in Ann Arbor had me pick up 4 of the manila ropes to swap with his existing nylon ropes. Here is a link if you are interested or have more questions just email me:

http://www.roguefitness.com/catalog/...th=121_122_124
Work and family safe link

Bill
bill@roguefitness.com

Old 07-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Mitch Hamm

Profile:
I went the economy route. My local purveyor of outdoor jungle gyms sells 20 feet of 1 inch diameter yellow twisted strand rope for $19. I picked up a wire rope thimble at the local Tractor Supply for about $3.50. Using an eye splice, I braided the thimble into the rope. To hang, I passed a chain through the thimble and around a tree in my back yard. The chain is secured with an old caribiner. Total cost was under $25.

This is kind of how the rig looks though this is from another website...

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/44654.jpg
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Jason Naubur

Profile:
I have looked into it a lot. If you are using it indoors, any rope is ok, with manila being splintery and hemp being really great. Both will rot outdoors unless tarred, and tarring is messy as you can imagine. The next is 'hempex' which is man made hemp replacement, and I have used it and it is easy to grip. The price I had in CDN$ was $3.50/ft for 1.5" hempex. Hempex feels great and will last 20 years outdoors - for me the best option and will be ordering one soon. But if it is only indoors, then any should do, but hemp would be the best for grip I think.

Most would be hard pressed to identify hempex as man-made unless you put a match to it.

Normal nylon has very poor grip. Stay away.

If you want to know where I am ordering from let me know.

Jason
Old 07-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Richard Ferron

Profile:
I also heard about cotton rope. It's supposed to be used in circus like Cirque du Soleil. It's 1 1/4''. Anyone has heard of them or tried them?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
John McEneany

Profile:
safe for work

http://www.trapezearts.com/onlinecat...p#_Toc70821716
Old 07-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
Richard Ferron

Profile:
Safe is good, but is it slippery?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
Jason Naubur

Profile:
My local crossfit had a cotton rope, I didn't find it too bad at all. Last time I was there I noticed that they had wrapped it in white cloth tape, didn't ask why though. But I tried it with the tape and the grip was much better, but I suspect that the tape will start turning sticky and black - probably not the best solution. A rope can be washed.

j
Old 07-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:
I just talked to the guy that does all of my rope and he said that if we are using a synthetic rope for climbing, we would not be happy. Pro-manila, un-manila, Hempex basically all being similar. This is a great thread I look forward to seeing what the best option is.

He said the UV light would break down the rope and also they are slippery. If you get the mix synthetic/natural then the natural rope will break down inside the synthetic.

Sounds like regardless of what you buy there will be some care involved. Ours splinters a little but does not stick into peoples hands.

Richard,

Hopefully you received my email

Bill
http://www.roguefitness.com

Bill
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Richard Ferron

Profile:
Bill, I've indeed received your email and it still looks like the best option. I'm still looking a little more since I know that UPS will charge me a lot of administration fees. Normal post is usually better but like you said the shipping might be more because of the size.

Here in Quebec City, the marines shop couldn't believe I would use manila to climb but then they can't believe I wanna climb a rope either! ;) One marine shop offered me this cotton rope and it sounds good (and cheap!) but then almost everybody's using manila so I guess I can't go wrong with manila. Jason, thanks for your insight, like you I guess they've put the tape because it was a little too slippery...

What I would need is a shop with all those ropes fixed and ready to test climb but it sure doesn't exist here.