CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
Jason Senn

Profile:
Re: Lifting Cycles

Yes that is a pretty good paraphrase.

All my PBs have been hit and move on to something else for these lifts. I concentrate on 1 thing and then I go to something else. I have the extra time until next baseball season.
I had looked at the Wendler and think it sounds good. One of my sons is going to do it with me so that will make be even better. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
Alex Burden

Profile:

My view is that you want to work/focus on those movements that will give you most gains in other movments.

So for me one of those movements is front squat. The reason for this is that this will not only work your hamstrings but also your core putting pressure on you to keep that upright position. If you get biggish numbers on your front squat it will help you in the C&J and snatch during that stabiltiy drive upwards.

Second movement, push press from behind the neck helping you be stable and more comfortable under the bar when the weight gets heavy. This will also help the C&J and snatch.

Third movement deadlift, those first pulls in the C&J and snatch will benefit allot from this.

It does not you would neglect other movements, they are there too but you need focus areas during that specific time.

In the past when i lifted heavy my cycles were 8, 5, 3, 1 rep passes. This meant week 1/first workout i did 8 reps on each set and took the weight as far as i could, next workout 5 reps and so on and so on building up tot that 1RM.

So for example: Front squat/back squat.
Front squat, 8 reps per set, max 20lbs increase on each set starting at 95lbs. Take it as far as you can go. Once you can't go any further (this does not mean you take it to failure) you move onto back squat but you start from where you left off from the front squat, take it as far as you can.

Keeping a record of this for the next time you do this, each set will be 5 reps. Can you lift more, how far did you get. This will also give you an indication if you are getting stronger.

Another example Push press/bench press the same as above.

Later when you get to singles you will have allot more energy, the numbers should be big and your body can take a pounding.

Now this is just examples of how you can do things but only you can decide on what and how you want to do it. Be smart and think about what you need to do to get you to where you want to be.

All the best and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:23 AM   #13
Alex Burden

Profile:

Oh.. and i forgot to add this...

Looking at your schedule i would strength train Mon/Tues and Thur/Fri during the evening as you need time for it. It can't be rushed.

If you work out a plan and what you should be working on for each of the 4 days on a rotation makes it easy for you.

You also need to deload 1 of 4 workouts to give your body a break, flushing the system as 50/60% 1rm.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:49 AM   #14
Jason Senn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
My view is that you want to work/focus on those movements that will give you most gains in other movments.

So for me one of those movements is front squat. The reason for this is that this will not only work your hamstrings but also your core putting pressure on you to keep that upright position. If you get biggish numbers on your front squat it will help you in the C&J and snatch during that stabiltiy drive upwards.

Second movement, push press from behind the neck helping you be stable and more comfortable under the bar when the weight gets heavy. This will also help the C&J and snatch.

Third movement deadlift, those first pulls in the C&J and snatch will benefit allot from this.
It does not you would neglect other movements, they are there too but you need focus areas during that specific time.

In the past when i lifted heavy my cycles were 8, 5, 3, 1 rep passes. This meant week 1/first workout i did 8 reps on each set and took the weight as far as i could, next workout 5 reps and so on and so on building up tot that 1RM.

So for example: Front squat/back squat.
Front squat, 8 reps per set, max 20lbs increase on each set starting at 95lbs. Take it as far as you can go. Once you can't go any further (this does not mean you take it to failure) you move onto back squat but you start from where you left off from the front squat, take it as far as you can.

Keeping a record of this for the next time you do this, each set will be 5 reps. Can you lift more, how far did you get. This will also give you an indication if you are getting stronger.

Another example Push press/bench press the same as above.

Later when you get to singles you will have allot more energy, the numbers should be big and your body can take a pounding.

Now this is just examples of how you can do things but only you can decide on what and how you want to do it. Be smart and think about what you need to do to get you to where you want to be.

All the best and let us know how it goes.
I like the sounds of this. Is there a template out somewhere I could look at for this to make sure I understand the process completely before starting?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #15
Alex Burden

Profile:

HI Jason,

This is something i have i my head that i have used over the years but i can take the time tomorrow morning to give you an example of what this could look like over a 4 week period, just a general basic set up.

If you know your body well you will get the basics then you should be able to put something together that will work for you. We are all different and the results are different from person to person.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 AM   #16
Jason Senn

Profile:

OK thanks for the input Alex. It is much appreciated.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
Tim Morrison

Profile:

Just a modified 5 X 5 Strength Cycle
4-5 exercises
4-6 weeks 5 X 5
4 weeks 5 X 3
2 weeks 5 X 1
I've had advanced athletes improve up to 40% in strength.
AND....with doing little MetCon, the Benchmarks (Grace, Diane, Elizabeth, Fran etc) all will improve automatically up to by 25% with strength increase like that....as that's the best way to improve those MetCons : strength improvement.

To augment do sprint running/target Calisthenic endurance (50 Pullups) and do endurance, intervals, some short 5-7min strength MetCons.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:39 AM   #18
Alex Burden

Profile:

Jason, this is just an example of something. Yes there are different people with different views as to how and what you should do but it is you in the end that makes that choice. The important thing is not to get injured at any time.

I know what i have in my head works based on my needs... back in the day my 1rm are 135kg bench (297lbs), 195kgs squat (429lbs) and 240kgs deadlift (528lbs) at a body weight of 80kgs (176lbs) during a competition.

Now i have not specified any weights or %'s of 1RM in the template. Only you know how far you want to take things based on how you feel and where you want to be. There is no rush to complete the movements, quality is nr1 priority.

The rep count and what order things happens places more or less pressure on you at different times.

What you need to remember that this is only part of it... it does not included whatever else you may add to it, by this i mean complementary movements such as OHS or other strength exercises.

This is as much of a mind game as a strength game. Keeping cool to perform well is key.

Hope this may give you an idea to build on what you have. There are hundreds if not thousands of sites with this sort of information so it will pay off for you to look around and judge what you need.

The big question is will it work, will any of these cycles work for you.... this is a bloody good question... the only way to find out and know is if to compare you numbers after you have tried one of them out. Until then it is all bull****. You only get out of it what you put into it.

Good luck on whatever journey you take.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strength.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	14005  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:33 AM   #19
Jason Senn

Profile:

awesome info everyone. it is all much appreciated.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #20
Alex Burden

Profile:

Jason, sent you a PM