CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Brent Batalis

Profile:
Total hip replacement & crossfit at 47 yrs

I started crossfit begining January of 2009 thinking I was in shape.....boy was I wrong. My first two weeks didn't go as good as I thought. Doing a number of wods and not being able to finish them. As time went on I got into the best shape of my life going back to my high school days. No I wasn't the best in the 180 class but I was in the best shape for me. So many people are scared to try crossfit because they don't want to be embarrased.....so not the case. You don't have to be the elite of crossfit to see changes in your body,cardio and how the new you carries your confidence. OK I''ll get to the point of why I'm writing this. About 12 months ago I was told I would need a total hip replacement. My doctor told me when you can't do daily activities come back and get your surgery done. On the pain meds I was put on I felt like a new man doing all the wods with no pain. That lasted only about 6 months until the meds weren't working as well and my pain was getting worse. I continued to do to do the classes scaling down most of the movements. I would go to classes and Bradley Garner would have my own wods to do with others and not make me feel as a outcast. I continued to do them until the pain was just too much. I called my doctor set up my surgery, I did crossfit a week up until my surgery. I had to be off my meds a week prior and really couldn't hardly move. I wasn't in the best shape before my surgery but I was in great shape for the cards I was dealt with. With Brad and April's help with scaling back wods for me I was ready for my surgery. I had my surgery on Janurary 30th 2012, on February 1st I was zipping down the hallways of the hospital on my walker and nurses would say no way you had surgery 3 days ago. I was released that day. I had PT at home and my therapist couldn't believe the things I was doing said I was weeks ahead of schedule. February 9th I lost the walker and started using a cane, February 15th lost the cane and walked on my own. February 17th .....19 days after my surgery my wife Becky took me to crossfit 180(Becky thought she was just taking me to the box to mingle so not the case....ha) and did my first wod very scaled of course but did a wod!!!! Today February 19th walking on my own with no pain meds and I haven't done that for about a year to be meds free. I would have never ever been able to bounce back like I have without the help of crossfit 180, Brad, April and my very SPECIAL wife Becky. I don't care what size, shape, over weight, under weight or any health problems you might have if you give crossfit a chance it will work for you. Thanks for all the support the crossfit 180 family gave me thru this trying time, you made it so easy on me. Dinners, cards and text messages to keep me going strong.....THANKS AGAIN BRADLEY GARNER!!!