CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
My First Visit with Grace

Wow - I just did Grace for the first time this morning - and that was so much FUN!!

I don't have bumpers and I have to do any overhead work outside our apartment in our ruined yard, which workers have turned into somethign that looks like a neglected potato field. In ruined jogging shoes with zero profile. Did I mention that it's been raining for a few days? (No point wearing shoes with profile otu there ... ) I had stacks of old sheets and cardboard to try to drop the weights on - otherwise they sink in so deep, the bar touches the grass. The stacks kept on getting ripped apart and I had to keep stopping to re-arrange

I pulled out a 10:12, weight as rx'd. No, that's a pathetic time compared with monsters doing this stuff in sub 3 minutes, but I came out feeling like a champ. When I started, I wasn't sure whether I would be able to put 60kg over my head 30 times. Now I know I can.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:18 AM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Re: My First Visit with Grace

Mike,

That's still a decent time, especially in light of your challenging gym environment. Just think what you could get your time to on a solid floor with bumpers! David
Old 09-21-2007, 05:36 AM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Is sub 3 mins good time for squat cleans? Or powercleans count too?
Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Mike Gray

Profile:

David: yeah, it was cool feeling coming out of the WOD thinking - "Hey, I didn't do that bad!" I'd love to take a shot at this in a gym sometime.

Leonid: I was trying to go into the squat, but I can't say I got below parallel on all of mine - but I think sub 3 minutes would be pretty good whichever way you do them. 10 C&Js per minute is 6 seconds per C&J - which is about the amount of time I was spending getting my head together between the clean and the jerk.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Those are some pretty adverse circumstances you are lifting under. Definite points for dedication.

Just though I'd throw in my own "First Grace."
11:10, weight 65 lbs. Everything was squat cleans and split jerks, except for the times I forgot and did a power clean or something by accident.

I am actually pretty happy with that time, considering that I am only 111 lbs myself. One heck of a leg-killer, that workout was.

Last edited by Derek Maffett : 09-21-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

I'm 17/5'11"/160lb and several months on crossfit. I tried Grace for the first time today (as rx'd) and got a 15min. I wasn't really pushing myself, but just wanted to finish and just get a feel for the workout (cause like most workouts it looks easy on paper, but when you are doing it ). I think I could go to around 10min on this one, so I think you are doing great, particularly given your work out conditions. I work out in a bodybuilding gym, so I constantly have people walking around, talking too much, hiding the clamps to use them (and the squat rack) for curls. No bumper plates either. But then again, not that I am that great of a crossfitter to really complain. Anyhow, keep it up.

Dimitri Dziabenko