CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Paleo Bread

The newly hyped Paleo Bread we ordered a few weeks ago finally arrived today. I didn't get to try the Almond Recipe yet, but had a slice of the Coconut Recipe. My wife and I thought it was very moist (like wet bread) and hardly any taste. Hopefully the Almond Flour recipe is better.

Any one else give this new product a try yet?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Re: Paleo Bread

I just bought the coconut kind. It's still frozen. When it defrosts I'll let ya know

EDIT: crap.. I just realized you already tried the coconut and not the other way around... damn, I guess I dont have much to look forward to. How did you eat it? Did you try toasting it? Did you use it as sandwich bread?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I actually saw a bnch of adds about Paleo Bread and was interested until I saw the price.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

I just had my first slice. I toasted it on my grated cast iron pan (since I don't own a toaster for obvious reasons). I had it w/my eggs since ever since I was a kid, my favorite way to eat eggs was to have the yolks semi-runny and use the bread to soak up the yolk like a sponge. It's one of the things I've missed since becoming paleo.

Anyway, it was definitely different from real bread but close enough to be an adequate substitute. It definitely was more dense than real bread so if you're yearning for that light, flakey feel of bread, this doesn't have it. But unlike Steve's experience, it wasn't moist or spongy at all. It actually did have a bit of crunch to it.

Overall, it get's a thumbs up from me. It's not the same as bread but it does the job. And Paolo, yes it's definitely more expensive compared to actual bread but I'd rather pay an extra few dollars to occasionally something bread-like while still keeping it paleo.. Also remember that you normally wouldn't be eating this as often as you would with bread so one loaf will probably last you longer.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

My own personal experience with this was terrible. We ordered it, it took forever to ship. I think a little over a month. Once it shipped, it got to us pretty quick but both breads (we ordered coconut and almond) were full of mold and inedible. We contacted the company, they apologized and admitted they had a full batch that was sent out that had developed mold. A little odd that any company would send a product that had developed mold. Regardless, they sent another batch of the two breads at no charge. Sadly, even then, one of the breads, I believe the almond, was, again, full of mold, and the coconut was already on its way to turning. Personally, I will never do business with them again and would advise anyone else not to. Any company that sees fit to send sub-optimal product which was admittedly sub-optimal by the company has poor if any quality assurance procedures. Its one thing when we are talking about gear, although I dont think its excusable in any industry, but bad food can cause serious issues leading up to death. No Bueno.

Honestly, Steve, your product is one of a kind and amazing. You should attempt something along these lines as I've ordered pretty much everything you sell at least 2-3 times and have never been disappointed. They have even helped me out during deployments or overseas TDY's and I recommend your stuff to everyone.

- Nick

Last edited by Nicholas DaSilva; 10-05-2012 at 07:32 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas DaSilva View Post
My own personal experience with this was terrible. We ordered it, it took forever to ship. I think a little over a month. Once it shipped, it got to us pretty quick but both breads (we ordered coconut and almond) were full of mold and inedible. We contacted the company, they apologized and admitted they had a full batch that was sent out that had developed mold. A little odd that any company would send a product that had developed mold. Regardless, they sent another batch of the two breads at no charge. Sadly, even then, one of the breads, I believe the almond, was, again, full of mold, and the coconut was already on its way to turning. Personally, I will never do business with them again and would advise anyone else not to. Any company that sees fit to send sub-optimal product which was admittedly sub-optimal by the company has poor if any quality assurance procedures. Its one thing when we are talking about gear, although I dont think its excusable in any industry, but bad food can cause serious issues leading up to death. No Bueno.

Honestly, Steve, your product is one of a kind and amazing. You should attempt something along these lines as I've ordered pretty much everything you sell at least 2-3 times and have never been disappointed. They have even helped me out during deployments or overseas TDY's and I recommend your stuff to everyone.

- Nick
Nick, thanks for the kind words and support. Unfortunately, a Paleo friendly bread or pasta based product is not in the works
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Mike Piper

Profile:

What brand was it? With so many paleo bread recipes out there for so many types I dont know why someone would order one especially when the price doesn't sound like it's right.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

My wife makes "paleo bread" all the time using Almond and/or coconut flour. She can knock out a loaf in no time.Consistency wise is is not ever going to be like a slice of wheat bread.

We had BLTs last night using her paleo bread and was is d'lish.

Since coconut and almond flour is expensive bulk purchases are kinda necessary.

I would challenge any store bought paleo bread (which I have never had) against my wife's. She pretty much has it nailed.

MF
Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Michael Dries

Profile:

And will she share the recipe? :-)

Last edited by Michael Dries; 10-10-2012 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Glenn Lee

Profile:

I bought one of each (Coconut and Almond). I placed an order the day they launched and I think it arrived 33 days later. Not good. My bread also arrived moist...the coconut more so than the almond.

I am not one to complain about the way something tastes...especially if I deem it healthy or beneficial to my fitness level. That being said, this bread tastes horrible. The coconut was very bad. I gave it a second chance and decided I just couldn't do it. The moist-sponginess consistency combined with the taste was too much for me...I tossed it after that second try. I would say if you took 3 regular slices of white bread and mashed them tightly together and doused them with a quick stream of water in the sink, you would have something with a similar consistency to this coconut bread. (that isn't meant to be funny or anything...I'm trying to give an accurate description of this stuff). And the slices are roughly 2/3 the size of a regular slice of bread.

The almond was a little better. The taste wasn't as bad and it wasn't as soggy but it too found the trash before I could finish the loaf. The bread is very dense..denser than a kitchen sponge. I made a sandwich with turkey and avocado and when I picked it up, it split in the center and fell all apart. I was pretty bummed about the whole thing since the almond has 9g of protein per slice (if I remember correctly), but the wretched taste, consistency, and ship time was too much to overcome. I won't be buying it again.