CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
Going to have to put two push movements on consecutive days

I've got bench, press and weighted dips to do and only have Mon, Tues and Fri.

which two would be better to pair on monday then tuesday?

Dips and OHP are in the opposite direction so they seem dissimilar enough but it seems like they're both more tricep than benching. It also seems like dips hit the chest a fair amount as well so doing them on consecutive days might not be so good.. Unless I'm wrong.

So Im curious what others might do in this situation.
Mon:Bench, Tuesress, Fri:dips?

Monress, Tues:dips, fri: bench?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: Going to have to put two push movements on consecutive days

I would do Bench on Tuesday, then do both Press and Dips on Friday. Trying to do three heavy upper body pushing days in a week would be counterproductive. Also, remember to mix in a solid selection of upper body pulling for balance. A good Pull:Push ratio is 2:1.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
I've got bench, press and weighted dips to do and only have Mon, Tues and Fri.

which two would be better to pair on monday then tuesday?

Dips and OHP are in the opposite direction so they seem dissimilar enough but it seems like they're both more tricep than benching. It also seems like dips hit the chest a fair amount as well so doing them on consecutive days might not be so good.. Unless I'm wrong.

So Im curious what others might do in this situation.
Mon:Bench, Tuesress, Fri:dips?

Monress, Tues:dips, fri: bench?
Let me understand the context. What else are you doing? What does your routine look like?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Let me understand the context. What else are you doing? What does your routine look like?
Just strength and oly. I'm going to put metcon on hold again. My original plan was this:

Mon: high bar squat, bench, pull ups, barbell rows
Wed: front squat, press, chin up, power clean/power snatch (alt)
Fri: deadlift, dips, single arm dumbbell row
Sat: oly day w/coach

But then I realized that I might not be able to do wednesdays due to logistics and realized that I'd have to put Wed's workout on Tuesday.

But now I'm thinking I could make Mondays upper body's all push and Tuesdays upper body's all pull so I came up w/this:

mon: back squat, press, dips
Tues: deadlift, bent over row, pullups
Thurs:Front squat, power cleans/power snatch, bench, single arm dumbbell row
Sat: oly day w/coach.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Your new plan looks reasonable.
It's interesting that you are worried about benching and dipping two days in a row, but your not worried about squatting one day and then deadlifting the next?

Most methodologies recommend getting space between workouts, but there are some who hit the body over and over again--makes me think of Bulgarians.

Also keep in mind, as in your case, life will deal us crap. This means we can't train ideally, so sometimes you have to bend the rules. I'd bend the rules in the way that attacks my training goals the best. If your goal was to pump up your deadlift, doing it the day after squats, probably would be counterproductive. But if you are happy with your squats/deads, then set up your schedule to focus on your other goals.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Michael Dowling

Profile:

I'm not sure the type of rep scheme and weights you're using but there is no way I could squat twice and deadlift once in only a four day span unless it was early in novice LP. You may be younger than me but I can't do any lower body after squats for a few days, and no way I'm able to squat with only one rest day after deadlifts (or deadlift the day following squats for that matter).

Last edited by Michael Dowling; 05-15-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Profile:

Most experienced lifters adapt fairly quickly to moderately high/high frequency templates.

This is one of the templates that Mike T. and many other RTS lifters have been using lately:

4/4/Flex2 (4 total training days/wk & 4 days/wk of each lift & Flex2 stands for 2nd Flexible template)

-Monday (Priority)
Prime Squat
Prime Bench Main
Prime Bench Supplement

-Tuesday (Priority)
Prime Deadlift
Secondary Bench Main
Deadlift Supplement

-Thursday (Priority)
Secondary Squat
Prime Bench Assist
Secondary Deadlift

-Friday (Optional)
Secondary Bench Assist
Squat Supplement
Secondary Bench Supplement

The days aren't set in stone, as it's a Flexible template, and get your most important work done in the 3 Priority days.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Your new plan looks reasonable.
It's interesting that you are worried about benching and dipping two days in a row, but your not worried about squatting one day and then deadlifting the next?

Most methodologies recommend getting space between workouts, but there are some who hit the body over and over again--makes me think of Bulgarians.

Also keep in mind, as in your case, life will deal us crap. This means we can't train ideally, so sometimes you have to bend the rules. I'd bend the rules in the way that attacks my training goals the best. If your goal was to pump up your deadlift, doing it the day after squats, probably would be counterproductive. But if you are happy with your squats/deads, then set up your schedule to focus on your other goals.
That's definitely a good point but I remembered that the 70's Big program had a deadlift day after a squat day. Plus I figured since my squat was high bar I'd be hitting less of the same muscles. But given my poor recovery I think for me it still would've been a bad idea.

But it actually doesn't matter anymore because it turns out I CAN do Wednesdays so I can stick w/my original plan. But also, as you said, life deals us crap and I'm not able to always see my coach on Saturdays because she sometimes goes away on vacation or has something urgent to take care of so I'm wondering in those cases, what I should do. Maybe on Wednesday, do the full version of whatever lift I'm doing instead of just the power version?