CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-12-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I have a question regarding core training.

I know there are a lot of exercises out there to train the abdominals but I was wondering how to structure a core workout to work all the abdominal muscles including the lower back.

I do slow eccentric dragon flags right now. It is a heavy exercise which seems to have great relation to the front lever. But does this same abdominal strength translate into the kind needed for planche and back lever? I don't want to develop a strength imbalance, so do I have to another exercise for total core? If so, what?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Lift heavy things off the ground and put them over your head.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I know about stuff like deadlifts and side presses working core, but I am looking for a somewhat more specific answer - such as what dragon flags work exactly and what they might not cover. Also what specific exercise would patch up the hole nicely.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Joshua Marcum

Profile:
REALLY HEAVY things
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
don't know about dragon flags, but any kind of squat, deadlift, clean, snatch, etc. will do the trick. believe it or not those exercises are pretty "core" specific. sorry I don't know more about the gymnastics stuff but others here do.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Perhaps a response from the gymnastics people out there? Not that I don't appreciate the weight lifting advice - it just seems that my question really is more gymnastics related.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Then try either a gymnastics website or google.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Derek, not to criticize gymnasts, but if you're looking to strengthen the lower back, typically gymnasts won't be the ones to seek advice from. I'm working with gymnasts right now - each and every one of them are very weak in the low back because they are constantly being told to "hollow".

Last weekend I attended a strength workshop. Never did a single "ab" exercise- plenty of squats (back, front, overhead) pushups, saxon bends, windmills, bent presses, 2 hands anyhow, tire flipping, dragging, tugging, leverage club work and never once laid on our backs to work "abs" (with the exception of a few turkish getups.) - My abs were sore for 3 days.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Maybe I should start deadlifting then. Advanced weightlifting exercises and squats are beyond me, though. I am basically on my own here, with only a bar, weights, and a bench. I could get a spot, but I don't want to risk injury from doing an exercise without enough instruction or encounter the troubles of hauling good weight onto my shoulders for squats.

So deadlifting it is then. I would still appreciate an answer from Steven Low or other such people, but it looks as if deadlifting is now in.

Thanks to all of you.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #10
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Derek, I used to do these in martial arts all the time. No, they don't help with back strength.

CrossFit is very simple, though not easy. There's no magic involved. Like Anthony and Joshua said, pick up a bunch of heavy crap. Lift it over your head. Throw it from time to time. Run to it as fast as you can, pick it up, and throw it again. Repeat 100 times every day and you will be fit.