CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-17-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
OK, I recently posted that I'm training gymnasts in o-lifts to improve verticals and explosiveness.

Being gymnasts they're all pretty unbalanced when it comes to ab/back strength.

A few are complaining of lower back pain. One complains of pain only on the left side and I've noticed that her left shoulder is higher than her right. So, I'm thinking chiropractic evaluation and adjustments might help.

Another is complaining of lower back pain on both sides. She also has some postural anomolies, and back pain/"bad backs" runs in the family.

At first I dismissed it as muscle soreness/weakness. It's been a couple weeks now and they are still feeling pain/discomfort. We're not working any heavier than maybe 45-65lbs snatches, cleans, pulls, deads, and OHS.

Any suggestions on how do I proceed with these two?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #2
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
Perform the three core endurance tests: flexion endurance, Sorenson extension endurance, and horizontal side bridge endurance. For reference see McGill, "Low Back Disorders" where he describes the tests, provides norms and explains how to correct imbalances.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #3
John Harshman

Profile:
"One complains of pain only on the left side and I've noticed that her left shoulder is higher than her right."

I can relate to this one though my back pain is on the same side as the raised shoulder. Though I don't know the true reason for the problem (never gone to a doctor) I do know that I have tight hip flexors and extensors on that side which causes that glute to not fire properly...which in turn causes my back pain. If I spend time stretching the hamstring and flexors (see Gray Cook) I can tell a big difference in how my glutes fire and the back pain is pretty much gone.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
A raised shoulder could implicate shortened scapular elevators/inhibited scapular depressors. Changing your prospective to shoulder down would implicate trunk musclature. Another option is pelvic unleveling or spinal tilt. The key to these kinds of static observations is often muscle imblanaces: weak v/s inhibited and short v/s tight.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Thanks Wayne, looking up Dr McGills book now.

John, her pain is also on the same side as the raised shoulder. I'll check on hamstring and flexor flexibility. thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I've seen all kinds of young gymnasts with all kind of issues. Back pain stemming from ruptured or enflamed discs, pelvic tilts, different length of limbs during growth, etc.

It seems fairly common. Currently our head coach just found a sports chiro he has really taken a liking to and is finding some good results with the kids he noticed our out of alignment ( weird things like one leg being higher than the other, heck one of my feet is slightly longer than the other which changes my squat stance a bit ).

Tomorrow, myself I'm going in and awaiting what that chiro is gonna say I'm in.

On another note, I've rarely heard male gymnasts complain about lower back problems. There is a lot more core stabilization and lower back work during a lot of the men's apparatus is my gamble.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I have suggested a chiro to those with complaints and they all have actually benefitted from adjustments in the past. Time to make appointments again.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Yep, I've seen quite a few of girls complain about lower back issues during tumbling or vault with the culprit being misalignments in their back.

Bare in mind, by that level, they might be getting sore backs by all the back limber movements, especially on beam.

While, ideally, walkovers and limbers are done through the shoulders, their lower back will compensate for any shoulder inflexibility. Keep in mind, the number of reps and how common BWO are in level 7 and level 8. ( BWO-BWO, or BWO-back handspring series is very often a common series ).

Old 07-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #9
Joe Perez

Profile:
Research "spondylolisthesis". This is when one of the vertebrae slips back (usually the lower area). There are differents stages depending on the severity. This is common amongst gymnast and other athletes that hyperextend their backs.

As far as the uneven shoulders.....I have no idea.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Thanks Joe, I'll look that up.