CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #1201
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Re: Jesse Emers- Get Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin McGinley View Post
Find a chiropractor/sports medicine guy certified in ART(active release technique) and have him/her work on your shoulders and the surrounding area. You probably have a decent amount of adhesions and scar tissue from years of being active.
Thanks Justin, I looked up some chiros today and found one that practices trigger point therapy among some other stuff. I am going to pay him a visit. I tried to search for ART but I couldn't find anything around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Brams View Post
Good thing that you've made a decision to get it better man.
Shoulder trouble is a b*tch.
Well, stuff you can focus on(I focused on this when I injured my wrists):

* Sled dragging. I just tie a belt around my waist and drag it in different ways(speed/weight/distance/time). You can even use this for rehab by doing face pulls and rows with it.
If you don't have one you can make one from a tire and some ropes.

* Zercher squats/front squats, if they don't bother your shoulder.

* Safety bar squats, if you're lucky enough to have one.

* Box jumps/kneeling jumps/lunges/one-leg squats.

* Hill sprints.

I'm doing the same at the moment, giving the shoulder a bit of rest while focusing on the lower body and doing some active rest.(face pulls, cuban rotations, light pressing with dumbbells, pushups)

Good luck man. All part of the game.

Don't forget the ice!
Bert thanks a ton for all the suggestions, I'm definitely going to be hitting up alot of that stuff. Big box jumps, sled dragging, lunges, and sprints sound particularly nice. This shoulder trouble sucks big time and I just decided that its stupid to keep training through injury, I'm sure it's making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vanmeerbeek View Post
Get plenty of rest and quality food Jesse, you'll come back "beaster" !
Thanks Rich, I certainly hope I will. Definitely alot of quality foods on the menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
How are you doing Jesse?
Nik thanks alot for your concern, I really appreciate it. I am doing ok. My energy/strength levels have been pretty low this week. I think it has alot to do with outside factors such as long work hours and not ideal sleep. Today I feel ok- not bad, not good. I think the next several days of active rest will do the trick.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #1202
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Four Rounds for Time of:
Run 400m
20 Pistols (alternating)
20 Situps
= 16:23

*Lower back slightly tight from yesterday. WOD felt ok, could have pushed harder on the runs.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #1203
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
Double Under Practice

Deadlift
225x5, 315x2, 405, 455, 475, 405x10

*Double unders weren't any better than last time. Was going to max on the DL but I wasn't feeling a strong lower back so stopped at 475. Thats the first high weight/rep DL set ever done and it felt kind of crazy. Last 2 reps were hard. Felt like I have more in the tank if I'm not using these damn hexagonal plates that roll forward/backwards on the touch+go.

Here is me b*tching: My shoulders have been bothering me for weeks now. I keep feeling like they are healing but then it comes back. Not any major pain, but constant minor aches and some pain when I move close to some limit ROMs. My hands are torn up very bad in multiple places (worst I've had) from the L-pullup workout on Monday (skinnier bar than I'm used to, torn in places that weren't callused).
I am breaking off from mainpage for atleast a week. I need my shoulders back so they aren't bothering me at all, ever. I'm planning on doing very limited shoulder (and hand) heavy movements. Probably going to focus on squatting, running, DUs, and maybe just alot of active rest. If any of you guys have other movement suggestions that I can focus on, I would appreciate that.
I'm sure Greg will have more to say on this too...but what are you doing pre and post workout to improve soft tissue quality? Do you carry a tennis/lacrosse/baseball around with you yet? Ice? Stretch your pecs and lats excessively?

I'm sure there could be lots else going on...but I know doing all the above definitely helps when my shoulders creep up on me...which they do anytime I neglect them pretty much.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #1204
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
I'm sure Greg will have more to say on this too...but what are you doing pre and post workout to improve soft tissue quality? Do you carry a tennis/lacrosse/baseball around with you yet? Ice? Stretch your pecs and lats excessively?

I'm sure there could be lots else going on...but I know doing all the above definitely helps when my shoulders creep up on me...which they do anytime I neglect them pretty much.
I need to do this, I forget about it till I get really sore.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #1205
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:

That's some good advice Erin.

Just a piece of PVC pipe will do wonders if you foam roll with it.

I advice against tennis balls because mine exploded when I tried to roll my glutes with it

Btw, I forgot to mention that you can "make" a safety squat bar by tying straps around the bar, if you have them.
100m sprint: 10:97 - BW:165 My now or never log
Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 AM   #1206
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Quote:

Thanks Erin. I do all that except roll them on a ball, which I'll start doing. I'll see what Greg has to say.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #1207
Jesse Emers

Profile:

WEEKLY CHALLENGE

1 MILE: Carrying half your BW (can be sandbag, bumpers, dirt, your other half or anything at the weight) travel for 1 mile. If you put the object/s down at any point you must perform 5 burpees before continuing.
= 15:33 with 100lb sandbag

Thanks Nik!
*The hardest part was handling the sandbag and how to hold it. I changed positions alot, sometimes having to completely stop for a short period. Most of the time it was held 'racked' on upper back/shoulders with my torso bent forward somewhat, not great form lol. I'm only sore in my shoulders and forearms from grip.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #1208
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Emers View Post
WEEKLY CHALLENGE

1 MILE: Carrying half your BW (can be sandbag, bumpers, dirt, your other half or anything at the weight) travel for 1 mile. If you put the object/s down at any point you must perform 5 burpees before continuing.
= 15:33 with 100lb sandbag

Thanks Nik!
*The hardest part was handling the sandbag and how to hold it. I changed positions alot, sometimes having to completely stop for a short period. Most of the time it was held 'racked' on upper back/shoulders with my torso bent forward somewhat, not great form lol. I'm only sore in my shoulders and forearms from grip.
I bet it was good fun with the sandbag mate, Kempie hit it this morning with a vest and bar in 10 minutes odd. Ran the lot...
Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #1209
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
I bet it was good fun with the sandbag mate, Kempie hit it this morning with a vest and bar in 10 minutes odd. Ran the lot...
Yeah thats a great time! You had a good show on the challenge too. It was a fun one. I really like the variety in these challenges.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #1210
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Modified yesterday's mainpage to avoid shoulder & I couldn't rig up anything for the GHSs, so it turned into a completely different WOD with the same rep scheme.

For time:
300lb Back Squat, 10 reps
50 Double Unders
300lb Back Squat, 8 reps
40 Double Unders
300lb Back Squat, 6 reps
30 Double Unders
300lb Back Squat, 4 reps
20 Double Unders
300lb Back Squat, 2 reps
10 Double Unders
= 13:07

*Shoulders are pain free now except when stretching to max ROM at certain angles. Workout was good, DUs were my best yet at most points. Starting to chain together 5+ frequently now, but still failing at 1 rep alot too