CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Mike Malloy :mail:
Old 11-10-2006, 07:56 AM   #12
John Tuitele

Profile:
a quote from a kid I helped train in prep for BUD/S, FWIW. He graduated class 250 first attempt. While this is only one grad's opinion, it does carry some weight.

Mental demand issues aside, getting through BUD/S requires a great deal of physical endurance to dodge injuries from overuse - tendinitis, stress fractures, etc. Alot of guys who ring out do so because their bodies are not conditioned for constant demand of running, o-course and stress overload. Strength and power is important, to be sure, but ignoring endurance training will put you at risk. Run, run, run with and without loads, uphills, downhills and around hills to condition tendons, ligaments and load bearing tissues to prevent program ending injuries during BUD/S.

I met with him a few months back to ask what part of the training that we did helped and did not help, and that was his reply. The program we cooked up for him a few years back had alot of elements of CF, but this community has helped me understand a great deal more about what we did right and wrong to help him. Do I think the strength and power work that we put him through helped prevent overuse injuries? Absolutely. However, if the SAID principle remains true, the distance running he did on his days outside the gym was just as important. In retrospect, we probably should have given it more emphasis alongside the resistance training. Actually, in retrospect, I wish I had known about CF a few years ago.

Paradoxically, he felt that his endurance training helped him make it through BUD/S, but his training now as an operator is tilted decisively towards strength and power, with endurance training in third place.

Also, I'll attach a document in Word that correlates performance on different PT tests to success in SF - not the same as SEALs, and over 10 years old, but maybe useful.

Hope that helps you prepare. Best of luck.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SFAS PT Schedule.doc (42.5 KB, 3323 views)
Old 11-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #13
Barry Cooper

Profile:
This website has some good info: http://www.thesealquest.com/

I thought it was cool they had the obstacle course pic's on there. It's been a long-standing goal of mine to build my own obstacle course.

Note there are some book recommendations. If you hunt further, there are more. I don't want to make it too easy for you.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
Nate Marlar

Profile:
Hey thanks for the responses! I really apprec iate the help!
Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 PM   #15
John Tuitele

Profile:
Barry - neat site recommended.

I like this PPDC (Pullup, Pushup, Dip, Chinup development) workout from the SealQuest site, maybe I'll try it out this weekend:

Beginner PPDC Workout
1 Pull Up, 2 Dips, 3 Push Ups
2 Pull Ups, 4 Dips, 6 Push Ups
3 Pull Ups, 6 Dips, 9 Push Ups
4 Pull Ups, 8 Dips, 12 Push Ups
5 Pull Ups, 10 Dips, 15 Push Ups
4 Pull Ups, 8 Dips, 12 Push Ups
3 Pull Ups, 6 Dips, 9 Push Ups
2 Pull Ups, 4 Dips, 6 Pushl Ups
1 Pull Up, 2 Dips, 3 Push Ups
Old 11-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #16
Nate Marlar

Profile:
John, I agree with you. Barry's recommendation has alot of cool information on it....looks like the owner stopped posting the WODs over there though....
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 PM   #17
George Shelton

Profile:
Most guys don't bonk over push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. It's the cumulative stress of running to and from chow, constant attention to detail, the O course, the pool, surf passage, rock portages, ditch and don and drown proofing, sometimes all in the same day.
Get as fit and as healthy as you can. Crossfit works for a good fitness base but getting help on combat sidestroke technique and doing a ton of finning is a huge help because efficiency and confidence in the water is a key. Working on your distance running is important but make haste slowly to minimize overuse injuries.
I started in Class 132 then got rolled back to 133 after Hell Week due to cellulitis in my feet. After classing back up I broke my left Tib/fib doing rock portage in training week 19.
Lots of guys talk about going to BUD/S few actually "Sack up" and try. It takes a huge amount of mental toughness and commitment(and more than a little luck to avoid injuries). The program is not easier than it used to be but the Navy is smarter about PT and injuries.
Try to contact Dave Werner at Crossfit North. If I'm not mistaked he retired out of the Teams