CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
I recently purchased Enamait's "Infinite Intensity," and am extremely impressed with the book! I did a workout today that consisted of heavy 1 arm snatches and 1 arm C&J - fun and a helluva workout! CF and Enamait's stuff certainly do have some similarities, but there are also differences that many have pointed out. If nothing else, the book has expanded my repetoir of exercises and equipment (1 arm oly lifts, sandbags, etc.). Also, it's worth noting that Enamait's main audience is combat athletes and his programming reflects that niche.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #12
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Rodney - all respect to Ross, I think his stuff is great and he definitely offers prime rib for the price of chuck steak, but the guy does have a business and charges for his books. Not that they're expensive; they're worth easily 3 times what he charges - but he doesn't post a complete new kicker of a workout every day like xfit does. That's all I was saying. Buying the crossfit journal isn't necessary in order to do the WOD, although it is fantastically valuable information and a big help. You're not going to get to see Ross's 50 day programs with all the workouts unless you buy the book.

His website and forum are excellent, and you can pick up a huge amount of helpful info there, but it doesn't have anywhere near the ease of looking at crossfit.com, seeing the WOD, and boom you're ready to go.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Nate Marlar

Profile:
I agree, it would be hard to beat the generosity, simplicity and user-friendliness of xfit, no doubt at all! I was just wondering since I can't do the WOD as rx'd do to temporary equipment limitations, what my best bet would be in the meantime.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
Kevin Scott

Profile:
I've only heard good things about ross's stuff. I have the bas rutten mma workout and thats good but it's 8 audio workouts so it can get boring and if your not focusing on fighting it's probably not for you. The bas workouts are like 8 or 10 rounds and you choose boxing 2 minute rounds, boxing 3 minute rounds, thai 2 minute rounds, thai 3 minute rounds, and then there is grappling and all round workouts that mix in sprawling, push ups, and neck bridges. During the workouts he yells different combos and you throw them either in the air, on a bag, or on mitts. If your a fighter it's a nice supplements especially if you can't get to boxing/kickboxing enough, but for everyone else Ross is definately a better choice. As for scrapper I have only heard good things about him as well. I really liked his free articles and workouts he has written and imagine his mod 1 is pretty good. My personal favorite is Zach Even-Esh. He has some good manuals, dvd's and prices. He also has a website you can subscribe to that has tones of articles about underground fitness and building your own equipment. I personally like to mix his method's of training with crossfit. I find I get get results in strength and conditioning that way. I think he has a deal right now of some of his stuff too if your looking to learn some new things. I think the web address is undergroundstrengthcoach.com.

All in all you can't go wrong with any of these things. Nobody ever gets dumber from looking at new ideas but for most bang for your buck probably ross or zach are your best bets, except of course for crossfit where there is a ridiculous amount of world class information thats free.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #15
Rodney Mark

Profile:

Tim,
I get what your saying now.Thanks.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #16
Bryan Veis

Profile:
I bought both of Ross's books. They are both well worth the money. I am currently working through the 50-day program in Infinite Intensity. I have my own reasons for preferring that to the WOD, and others might make a different decision. Ross's workouts are extremely challenging. The structure of the program is more regular (in the sense that the 4-on/1-off cycle repeats workout types on the same day of each cycle) than the WOD. Ross makes himself available online daily, as well.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Nobody ever said you have to choose. I'm planning on subbing some of the Never Gymless workouts for a bit while my elbow recovers because I can't do weights right now (as much as I want to) and it keeps me more honest than my silly subs (i.e. 150 squats instead of the Crossfit death march). Also the 4 day on 1 day off format looks like just what I need right now. Anyways it's always good to mix things up a bit imo.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:35 PM   #18
Nate Marlar

Profile:
Good point Yael. Good luck on the elbow.
Thanks again for the input ladies and gentlemen.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #19
Jared Waltz

Profile:
+1 for Scrapper.
He's got some great workouts and exercise ideas, plus he's a heckuva nice guy. Posts over on the S&C forum at mma.tv.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #20
Adam Morden

Profile:
I'll second the vote for Scrapper's workouts. They are awesome bodyweight routines. Also, I have to give Bas kudos for hillarity, if you want something that gives a good anaerobic punch combined with some of the funniest encouragement ever I have to pick Bas =) I only have one of Ross' Books, but it is excellent as well, all three are very different, although I would think that Scrapper's and Ross' workouts would be more in ine with what most crossfitters are looking for than Bas Rutten's