CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Nate Marlar

Profile:
I ordered Scrapper's Mod1 already and can't wait to try it out...but for future reference, and for those who may want to ask this same question, does anyone have any input to offer on these three trainers ( Bas Rutten, Ross Enamait, Wayne "Scrapper" Fisher) and their workouts/systems?

I can't wait to close on the ol mortgage and set me up a nice little gym in the garage, but til then any input is HIGHLY appreciated!

(Message edited by natro on October 26, 2006)
Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I just ordered one of Ross Enamait's books and can't wait to get it!! Just for some new ideas.

Of course, there's always the CF beginner's routine:
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...nnersMay03.pdf
Old 10-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Fitness.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Enamait's stuff is top shelf. If you can handle a LOT of variability, his is the stuff to go for.

IF you're looking for something a little more straightforward, Scrapper's mods are where it's at.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Nate Marlar

Profile:
Thanks for the replies! Sorry about posting in the wrong forum Lynne.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Tim McFarland

Profile:
I agree with Kevin; I'm not familiar with the other names you posted, but I'm very impressed with Ross's stuff. It's quite comparable to a lot of crossfit stuff in many ways, with a heavy emphasis on busting your .

On the other hand, the WOD is free and can be done with very limited equipment. Cheap subs are easy to come up with; sandbags, homemade rings, and running shoes are all you really need.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
I worked with Ross's stuff before I came to CrossFit. The main differences between Ross and the CF approach as I see it:

- Ross needs less equipment
- Ross does no Oly lifting
- No WOD
- CF has more of a strength focus
- CF is more advanced stuff IMHO (if you take the WODs as Rxed)

Ross shares with CF the focus on intensity and functional movements as well as the variability theme. For bodyweight only training, Ross is the way to go. Definitively worth getting.

Cheers,

Christian
Old 10-27-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Nate Marlar

Profile:
Yeah I'd definitely be doing the WOD, the only thing is that for the time being I don't have the equipment necessary to follow as rx'd....once I close on my mortgage and can set up a gym in the garage...I'll be all over the WOD ( or probably all over the floor hanging out with Pukie, more accurately) ha ha

Thanks for the input!
Old 10-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Christian has it about right on Ross. His stuff is 1st class. I do some of his workouts in addition to CF.

However I would like to add that some of Ross's workouts focus on Peak power output as apposed to Total power output...the difference explained in this months Performance Menu Journal from CFN.

Also he has a focus on static strength training. Which is very helpful in developing strength in the hands and for pushing through a barrier one might have. For instance he used static training to finally develop the ability to do full range HSPUs.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Rodney Mark

Profile:

I think Ross' stuff is awesome! I disagree with the poster that said CF is free and his info isn't. Ross also has a forum that he will gladly answer questions on and he is the only trainer I know of you can call on the phone and get info that way,no charge to you.
His books are a wealth of info for the price he charges and last time I looked the CF journal isn't free.