CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Jim Gotti

Profile:
Preface

Injury 1 :I had ACL recon / Medial meniscus repair in 1993 that started to "act up" 3 years ago. By act up, I mean it would randomly fill with water, blowing up to twice it's normal size. After letting go of my stubborness and finally wearing my orthodics, attending physical therapy, I'm glad to say that my knee is almost back to 100% (able to run 3miles straight without any pain whatsoever, which was my main goal going into therapy 4 months ago).

Injury 2 : Inferior labrum tear in my right shoulder along with an impingment. I rehabbed my shoulder with my knee and after 2 weeks, my impingement started to go away, after 4 weeks, my range of motion was complete and I started on strengthening. Now, 3 months from that point, my adduction/abduction strenght has increased ten fold and the labrum tear only effects my internal rotation (if I fold my arms in front of me and pull up on my elbow while pushing down on my hand, I feel it).

Ok. Enough of my medical history.

With those injuries being taken care of and my body feeling the best it has in years, I have some concerns about taking on crossfit as my main routine.

Mainly doing deep squats. I've read some articles (seminar notes from 2005) where Coach says that crossfit is the best rehab training one can do, since it's it focuses on multi joint movements and that traditional rehab does not take the joints through normal movements.

Every doc and physical therapist I have dealt with has told me not to go past 90 degrees while squatting, however, it seems the crossfit strives to push one to go deep as possible, hamstrings to calves.

I guess I just want to hear how other's with previous knee injuries have dealt with the crossfit "guidelines" when working out when it goes against what the medical field suggests.

My concern with my shoulder is doing kettlebell swings, however, I know there is no one that can tell me how my body will react and I will have to try and see for myself.

My apologies for the lengthy post, just trying to voice some things that have been on my mind while reading up on crossfit.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Wayne Nelson

Profile:
Squats are good with the ACL, until parellel. This is because there is minimal stress placed on the ACL up to this point. After parellel the stresses begin to increase. More stress is placed on the ACL on the way up (activation of the Quads). The hamstrings help the ACL and the quads are antagonists. After a knee injury the motor control of the knee falls towards the gutter and certain things happen that don't reverse, even after repair (although repair helps a lot) like inhibition of VMO and Gmax. Also during the period before repair pain avoidance plays an important part in altering movement patterns that become grooved and permanent. These patterns could actually overload the knee, hip, ankle or even the low back. ...And that's that.

The same types of things occur after shoulder injuries. Inhibitions include serratus ant, rotator cuff muscles, scapular depressors and muscles of the neck.

You might begin with squats to parrellel for a while and see how things go. As an experiment, that is. With KB Swings, make sure you pull back on the bell as your arms come up. This retracts the scapula, adds to its stability and draws the humerus into the glenoid for stability. (Check out post on Scapula and link to article on that subject)

Starting conservative (less squat depth and KB to shoulder height) and progressing slowly is a good rule.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
Jim Gotti

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback Wayne. Slow and steady it is.