CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #11
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: comprehensive barbell list 2015

We can't forget:

Texas Power Bar
Texas Crossfit bar
Ohio bar
Ohio power bar
Old 01-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
John Burgeson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
I think it is great that they are releasing an IWF approved bar as well. Funny that they needed Euro steel to do it. Wonder if the cost will actually end up closer to that from the other manufacturer's like Werksan, Eleiko and Uesaka.
I have a feeling that it would indeed bring the price closer to the other IWF bars. I don't know the exact annual fee for IWF certification, but it's a lot I hear.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #13
Jason Tebedo

Profile:

another great site that collates not only barbells is wfs http://www.garagegymequipment.com/barbells.html
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Tebedo View Post
another great site that collates not only barbells is wfs http://www.garagegymequipment.com/barbells.html
Might have helped to at least mention its YOUR site. Nice job bumping a thread to promote your blog JT.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #15
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burgeson View Post
I have a feeling that it would indeed bring the price closer to the other IWF bars. I don't know the exact annual fee for IWF certification, but it's a lot I hear.
I don't know about iwf but I know for the IPF, one of the main retailers recently had to pay something like 70 000$ per year for their equipment (singlets and belts included) to be competition legal.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Pretty thorough review by Hook Grip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttlpKdeTWDU (wfs)

Barbells included in this review:
Again Faster Klokov bar
ZKC training bar
Worksan training bar
Rogue Olympic WL bar (American)
Rogue Olympic WL bar (European)
old Eleiko training bar
Worksan lion bar
Eleiko sport bar
old Rogue bushing bar
York split sleeve bar

This video includes standardized tests for barbell weight, whip, and spin. Knurl is also reviewed and described in subjective terms.

Summary:
Barbell weight has slight variance, acceptable to all trainers short of Olympic competition.
Whip doesn't vary at all among these barbells.
Spin varies, but more spin isn't always better.

Not impartial conclusion (conflicts of interest explained at the beginning of the video):
#1 best value - AF Klokov bar
#1 overall preference - Rogue WL bar
#1 for more aggressive knurling, longevity - Eleiko
Old 04-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
Keith Miller

Profile:

Although I like this comprehensive review very much, I question the legitimacy of the whip testing they did. I know he said they did not do a very technical test, I think there is more variation in this than what he shows. The testing method of clamping the bar to a table is not very stable and open to variances as to how much pressure is put into the clamp and how stable the table itself is. Both of these can take out the variances and make the bars look more similar than they are. There needs to be a more robust method to test the whip, but I'll admit I don't know what that is.

He also talks about how they "feel" regarding whip, and I think that could be a better indicator. Some bars feel stiffer than others at the same weight.

All in all, I think it was good and will be useful for the majority of people out there.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
He also talks about how they "feel" regarding whip, and I think that could be a better indicator. Some bars feel stiffer than others at the same weight.
I've always questioned this - isn't bar diameter the biggest factor in stiffness (assuming we're using similar strength steel)? I find it hard to believe that two 20kg, 28mm bars with similar tensile strengths would have different levels of stiffness. Almost all the specs are similar (weight, length, tensile, diameter) - so why would one be stiffer unless someone believes the "magic dust sprinkled super special steel" hype?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #19
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post
I've always questioned this - isn't bar diameter the biggest factor in stiffness (assuming we're using similar strength steel)? I find it hard to believe that two 20kg, 28mm bars with similar tensile strengths would have different levels of stiffness. Almost all the specs are similar (weight, length, tensile, diameter) - so why would one be stiffer unless someone believes the "magic dust sprinkled super special steel" hype?
There is a difference in the whip between an Eleiko competition bar and an Eleiko training bar. Both are 28mm and 20kg with the same tensile strength. You need to lift on both regularly though to notice the difference.

IMO, the only thing that's going to separate the IWF certified bar manufacturers (Eleiko, Uesaka, Werksan, DHS and Zhang Kong) is personal preference. I myself prefer Eleiko over Werksan, but I would like to lift on a Uesaka bar based on other people's reviews.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

My observation of "whip" is that is makes no difference for most people. That being said, it is very easy to feel a difference between various barbells. I do think people can take advantage of "whip" even at lower weights.

I can tell you if I put my Pendlay bearing bar and my Eleiko Training bar on the ground and kick em, they react very differently. I don't really know if that even relates to how a bar will react during a jerk or whatever.

Nowadays, the choices are so great it is probably hard to go wrong with any of them. Unless someone tours around a lot and experiences lots of different manufacturers the purchase is made on blind faith which is why it is nice Hookgrip is doing the tests. There really is not much info out there and it takes a lot of searching to find it.

A new bar ain't gonna spin like a used bar. My Eleiko bar came from a freezing Chicago and pretty much stayed cold until I pulled it out of the tube. The thing barely spun at all. It spins nicely now and gets better weekly.

I bought my Eleiko for two main reasons: Knurl and the fact there are tons of ancient Eleiko bars around and every one I have touched was awesome and worked flawlessly-even a bent one.