CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #51
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: you are not...

Okay, everyone who exercised mature adult judgment in all things when they were 15 years old, please raise their hand.

Remember, we are talking about high school and junior high school kids here. They are kids. They do dumb things, just like all kids do.

But one of the disadvantages of being born into a bad situation is that it dramatically reduces the margin for error. First, the adults around you may not be exercising good judgment themselves, and so they don't offer much in the way of role models and sanity checks. And second, the money just isn't there for tutors, lawyers, test prep courses, substance abuse treatment programs, and all the other ways that more well off kids get back on track after their own bad decisions.

And of course that's not even considering the very dramatic and well-documented effects that early childhood neglect can have on higher brain functions like decision making and impulse control.

Katherine
Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #52
Brett Dartt

Profile:

**** man, haven't yall seen trading places?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #53
Michael Kelley

Profile:

Never said anyone chooses to be poor. Many make choices each day with results that include poverty, but that's another topic. They DO choose whether or not to show up to school. Never said 15 year-olds are the best examples of great judgement. However, the vast majority of them from all walks of life go to school. They show up, and they eventually graduate. Those that choose not to show up know how to get there, usually have sufficient transportation via walking or bus riding, but for whatever reason elect not to go. Those reasons are myriad, but in the end the choice lies with the individual most of the time. Again, they live with the consequences of their actions.

Oh, and someone mentioned something earlier about blaming the poor for crime. I don't. I blame criminals for crime. They are the people who knowingly choose to violate the law and the rights of people around them. Again, they are 100% individually responsible for the final choice to commit crimes, whatever external influences might exist.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #54
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Okay, everyone who exercised mature adult judgment in all things when they were 15 years old, please raise their hand.

Remember, we are talking about high school and junior high school kids here. They are kids. They do dumb things, just like all kids do.

But one of the disadvantages of being born into a bad situation is that it dramatically reduces the margin for error. First, the adults around you may not be exercising good judgment themselves, and so they don't offer much in the way of role models and sanity checks. And second, the money just isn't there for tutors, lawyers, test prep courses, substance abuse treatment programs, and all the other ways that more well off kids get back on track after their own bad decisions.

And of course that's not even considering the very dramatic and well-documented effects that early childhood neglect can have on higher brain functions like decision making and impulse control.

Katherine
I haven't been reading this thread, but I am gonna put up my hand here. Compared to some of the decisions that I see "adults" making now, I had my stuff down when I was 15. Of course that also has something to do with the fact that there aren't a whole lot of things you need to be right about when you are 15.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #55
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I love the speech, but I didn't read it so much the same as you guys did that he is saying graduating doesn't make you special. The way I read it was much more broad, that simply being present, existing, doesn't make you special, which seems to be a trend... just show up, participate, that is enough to warrant reward (medals for participation etc). I took the speech to be a call to action not as high schoolers, but as adults, to work toward achieving things for the sake of achieving a lofty goal rather than for the recognition, reward, or attempts to make yourself stand out as special.

Anyone hear that the Games will have scaled divisions next year to help those that are less than RX?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #56
Andy Kauth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Indeed we are... moving on.
I went back to the Equipment Forum.