CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
Jared Grisham

Profile:
Boxing Help

My friends have convinced me to participate in an amateur boxing event. I have absolutely no clue how to train for boxing (I'll look for a gym in my area). I was wondering if any CFers could shed some advice on some specific ways to train outside the ring to help prepare for the fight. There are going be three 3 minute rounds.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Bryan Veis

Profile:
Re: Boxing Help

http://www.rosstraining.com
Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

What Bryan said - Ross Training. Plus, if you train at a gym, they should be working you pretty hard, and might prescribe a good routine for you to follow as you get ready.

Enjoy your first fight. Mine was the only life-changing experience worthy of that description.

Last edited by Peter Dell'Orto : 09-23-2007 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Ideally, I think you should go to your local bookstore and buy a beginner's handbook to Boxing. It'll have more than enough exercises and drills for you to get ready.

The four things you'll need to work on as a beginning boxer (like myself), in order of importance: endurance, defense, offense, and footwork.

Endurance should be easy enough. As a CrossFitter, you're sure to have a good background. Your goal should be 3 minutes of extremely intense work followed by 1 minute of rest. The work could be anything, but I'd reccommend sprinting, double-unders, and heavy bag work. As you can guess, the benefit you'll get out of these will be proportional to what you put into them -- jogging the sprints and resting on the heavy bag will only hurt you.

The most important part of defense: keep your guard up at all times. I know this sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to let your hands down when you're punching. Whenever you're practicing boxing technique, never take your hands away from your face. When you're throwing a left, bring your left back to your face before throwing a right, and vice-versa. Get this ingrained into your system and you'll be a darn turtle out there.

The other aspects of defense are a little more complicated. You can practice bobbing and weaving under a racked bar or taut rope, but to apply it in a boxing match, it's best to have someone actually throwing at you so you know what stimulus to react to. In lieu of that, mixing in bobs and weaves into punching sessions would be good (on the heavy bag, for example: jab-straight-*duck*-hook). It's important to remember, though, that you have to be QUICK slipping out of the way. Lightning-quick. You have to duck faster than your opponent can punch.

For offense, learn the 4 punches: jab, straight, hook, and uppercut. But don't just learn them -- perfect them. Learn what makes each punch unique; its advantages, its drawbacks, when to use it, and how it makes you vulnerable. After you've mastered the four punches, learn a few combinations (remember to keep those hands up!). The bulk of your offensive training can be done on a heavy bag. Use heavy gloves (16 oz.) to build hand speed.

As for footwork, one major tenet applies: never cross your feet. If you're in an orthodox stance, your left foot will be left and forward of your center, and your right foot right and to the rear. When moving, take your first step with the lead foot. If moving left, move your left foot left followed by your right. Same thing with the other three directions. Using this, you can practice footwork anywhere you have space. If you have a heavy bag, swing the bag in any direction and follow it, keeping as close as possible. As you get better, swing the bag higher. Also practice a swift forward step that will allow you to get inside an opponent's reach.

Dang this got wordy.

Last edited by Joe Cavazos : 09-23-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Jared Grisham

Profile:

Thanks for the help guys (God I love this community!). One more thing, given that we crosffitters loathe isolation exercises (eg bicep curls, leg extension etc.), are there any exercises that I really should be focusing on?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:53 AM   #6
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

Joe might be able to answer better - he boxes. I do MMA, so my instant response is "no, do all of them." It seems like you might need to do more arm work in boxing, but it's illusory - you generate power in striking from your whole body, so you need it working together.

If you have to specialize, I'd concentrate on the explosive movements - you don't have a lot of time before your fight match. So, dumbbell/kettlebell swings, O-lifts, push pressing, thrusters, etc. Things that depend more on power generation than on raw strength. Ideally you'd have time to do everything - low-rep strength work on things like squats and deadlifts, O-lifts, cardio, etc. but if your training schedule bites into crossfit, you might want to keep as many "power" exercises as you can. That's what I'm starting to do now, with my next fight expected in November.

Keep your guard up, listen to your corner, and have fun. And if you corner says "Guard UP!" that means, regardless of what you think you're doing, you're dropping your guard. I can't count how many times I've seen that happen, and the guy is there between rounds - or getting up after a TKO - saying "It WAS up!"
Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

All of the above answers about conditioning exercises are great, BUT, the original post says that he has never boxed before, you can thruster, clean and condition until the cows come home, but you really need to do the obvious- BOXING!!, I have boxed for about 6 years, and the beginner can't even hold his arms up for three minutes- so although the suggestions above have been great, just reaching the goal of three intense minutes of boxing should be your goal before you start implementing a lot of other stuff.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 AM   #8
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:

What Alex said. Box as much as you can, bag work, working with a coach, shadow boxing tec. With whatever time you have left do your strength and conditioning work.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Jared -

Your friends shouldn't really be convincing you to take part in boxing events if you have no experience in the first place. If you are unsure how to train to prepare for a fight I would say take plenty of time to learn how to box, use CF as your fitness routine it will do just fine. I have used CF for my Muay Thai prep and have found it to be ideal. I worked predominantly metcon but looking back would say that a bit more strength training would have been better. I'd say two ME a week would have been good for me.

Find a good gym and learn the sport if you want to fight, if you get into the ring with no experience there is a good chance you will get seriously hurt! look after your health.

By the way if a coach is willing to put you into the ring now, at your level, you need to find a coach who will take your health seriously.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

The other posters are correct - you must train for this. Don't mistake my advice as replacements for training, they're advice for helpful additions to training. When you do train, make crossfit the supplement to your boxing, not vice-versa. You're looking to box so you'll need to make it your priority.

I have to admit I think you can learn enough to enter an amateur boxing event pretty quickly. I've seen someone go from no training to their first MMA fight in just under 4 months and do well - win, in fact. In my experience, amateur boxing, kickboxing, and MMA events mean lots of protection, quick stoppages by referees, and an emphasis on safety. So you should be okay - but no way should you enter without training first.

When is this event? How much prep time can you dedicate to it? How many fighters in the tournament, assuming a standard elimination approach? Do they have a web page detailing it we can look at?