CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Not sure this is the right place but I guess boxing counts as a martial art, no?

I started learning to box and am working towards sparring. Right now, I'm just focusing on offense and defense, etc. On the conditioning, my trainer has a basic boxing type workout but I'm thinking it might be better to sub the CF WODs. Or is there a CF-like workout that would be better than a basic boxing type workout?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I've got a few ideas for Tuesdays workout now. :-)
Old 10-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
Craig Uchimura

Profile:
You may want to check out Bas Rutten's audio workouts. Here are 2 min and 3 min boxing. 2/3 min thai boxing. 2/3 min all around. A partner workout. And a killer 28 min all around workout.

The boxing is just that, punch combos called out with 1 min rest between rounds for about 30 mins total. I think all of these can be done just shadow boxing or hitting the heavy bag.

Thai boxing adds knees into the mix.

All around workout adds sprawls.

28 min all around is a non-stop one including abs, push ups and jump tucks, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
How many days a week are you doing gym work? Extra workouts are really dependent on your gym schedule. I always felt really stupid when I burned out my legs doing extra workouts on days before I was supposed to spar.

Ross Enamait's site (www.rossboxing.com) has a lot of good info, BTW.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 AM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thanks for the advice. I assume I can just search on Bas Rutten to buy the workout.

Garry - Boxing is right now more of something I am learning rather than a full sport for me. I've been spending only 1 day per week with my trainer, where we do 1 round of shadow, something like 6 rounds of bag, 3 rounds of mitt training (me chasing him around the room), and 2 rounds of defense. I've bumped that up to 2x per week to get ready for actual sparring.

Then I do CF a couple of days per week. I'm also working on learning the Olympic lifts. And I play ice hockey around 2x per week.

So the last thing I need is a conventional workout to take up more time. I like the idea of the audio workouts since they are about boxing, not just conditioning. And I have real trouble putting combinations together (kinda need my trainer to call out the numbers).

Keith - judging from your avatar, I'm not sure I should be learning defensive skills from you!
Old 10-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
http://www.basrutten.tv/product_info.php?pName=mixed-martial-arts-workout-cddvd- as-seen-on-extreme-makeover-2&cName=dvds

this is the DVD, Craig?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
Michael Latch

Profile:
Elliott, I use the Bas Rutten cd's often...they are awesome, but don't be mistaken that they "are about boxing, not just conditioning." In the beginning, you will most likely have to do EVERY OTHER combination, because they come at you fast and furious.
Also, make sure you have a decent grounding in HOW TO perform each punch, or you might just reinforce bad technique. It would be a good idea to actually do a couple rounds of the cds with your boxing trainer there to guide/correct you.
That being said, if I were stuck on a desert island, I'd take the cd's along with me...THEY'RE THAT GOOD!:biggrinthumb:
Old 10-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Michael Latch

Profile:
A WORD OF WARNING: The cd's are NOT very friendly to Lefties...all the combinations are called out for Right-Handed fighters.
The Lefties I know who have done the workouts didn't enjoy them very much, because they were constantly translating "Left Knee/Straight Right" into "Right Knee/Straight Left"...
Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Mark Dowst

Profile:
Straight Blast Gym has some really good boxing instructionals by Rodney King (not who you are thinking of). Rodney King's boxing style is really realistic, I really liked it because it doesn't focus as much on speed and attributes, but more on defense and positioning. SBG has alot of other good instructionals that cover the bread and butter strategies of MMA very well from clinching, takedowns, and grappling.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Rutten's CD's are great - I've been using them for a long time, I actually have them on cassette tape, not CD! lol! Which I enjoy, because I play music on my CD player while I'm playing back his commands on my tape player.

I agree with Michael, though, make sure you have good form and aren't looking for the audio workouts to teach you technique.

And definitely the routines that throw in the sprawl are killer!

Of course you'll find yourself with Bas's voice stuck in your head all day afterwards. ;)