CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
Josh Baugh

Profile:
Asymmetrical collarbone/clavicle enlargement

I've done a few searches on the board and haven't found an existing thread with this particular issue -- my apologies if I missed it.

The end of my left clavicle, nearest my throat, has become much larger than its mirror opposite (on the right side). My wife noticed it when I got out of the shower several weeks ago. And some athletes at my box told me yesterday I should have it looked at.

The left end protrudes out and seems to get worse on days I do repeated, heavy shoulder-to-overhead. I think the bar slams down pretty hard and has caused the collarbone to react.

It's not particularly painful -- it's *slightly* tender to the touch post-WOD and the day after, but definitely not to the extent that I have to quit lifting.

My main concern is about whether I'm slowly and methodically doing some sort of damage that will result in some future catastrophic event.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Recommendations on how to proceed? Similar experiences and outcomes?

Thanks much.

Josh
Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Asymmetrical collarbone/clavicle enlargement

Typically I see this with either bone spurs or arthritis at the sternoclavicular joint where collarbone meets the sternum or breastbone. If it is prominent usually getting it checked by an orthopedic surgeon is a good idea.