CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-09-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I made a big batch of Pesto sauce recently....great source of fat IMHO. Ingredients: Fresh Basil, Olive oil, Garlic, Walnuts, salt & pepper. I think traditionally you use pine nuts and parmigiano cheese, but this is more Paleo friendly and you can always add a little cheese separately for your non paleo friends. Just mix it in a blender/food processor to taste. I used two big bunches of basil about a cup or more of olive oil a big container of walnuts and a lot of garlic.

I didn't measure it so I'm not sure of the exact block count. But I have a ton of it now. I think I'll freeze some for next year. I figure you have nuts and Olive Oil so it's got to be a little more concentrated fat than just plain Olive Oil. The basil and garlic probably aren't that many carb blocks at all. It's really tasty and easy. Put it on chicken, tomatoes, bread, pasta & cheese (if you dare to eat that stuff). You can add it to tomato sauce for some extra zing. Eggs. Add it to vegetables.

Another tip. This one is from my Korean ancestry.

You can wrap your protein (beef, chicken, fish) in lettuce. Red leaf lettuce works best and Romaine is a close second. I know sometimes I feel like I want to be able to pick my food up and eat it like a sandwich. But I don't want to eat grains. Lettuce to the rescue! You take a full leaf of lettuce place some barbecued beef in there. Add some hot sauce, some yummy vegetables, pickled cabbage and whatever else floats your boat. Wrap it up and shove it down your gullet. Yummy.

All the fun of a fajita without the grain.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #2
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
good idea with the lettuce!
i have fresh basil at home just waiting for me to finish night shifts and turn it into pesto...
Old 06-11-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Keith, great ideas, pesto, especially; the way you make it, is a great source of fat. You could have it on almost anything!
Old 06-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
Israel Halperin

Profile:
great idea about the lettuce warp, i am starting to miss the feeling of holding a sandwitch.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Fritata Madness

So I've been making lots of Fritatas lately after reading the Performance Menu and moving into a new apartment with a real kitchen.

Here's my latest creation:

1 chopped onion
1 chopped apple
8 oz. meat (sausage works great for this, but you can be leaner and just do ground beef/chx/tky).
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
salt & pepper
8 eggs

Cook the onions and apple until soft, then add the meat. Add the mustard, salt & pepper. Scramble the eggs and pour them over the mixture. Cover and turn the heat to low. Wait 10-15 min.

My girlfriend likes this with cheddar cheese, but that's optional and can be added at the end if you want to give someone else cheese and don't want to have any yourself. Or you can mix the cheese in with the eggs and cook it into the fritata.

For Zone purposes, you might want to cut back on the meat if you add cheese.

Cut into 4 pieces. 1 slice should be 4 protein blocks and 1 carb block.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #6
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Mmmmm Pesto, I think I'm going to make some of that, and great idea about the lettuce!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Depending on whether you are an egg eater: I made this amazing frittata like thing last saturday. Just cooked up a couple slices of good bacon in a cast iron pan. Used grease to cook a large diced red onion, a cup of diced portabello mushrooms, a cup of diced aspharagas. Seasoned to taste (I like cayenne pepper). Turned to low and poured over 5 whipped up (free range organic high omega3 yada yada) eggs. Wait until the eggs are cooked. MMMMMM.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I am a huge egg eater, and I've never had a frittata (or even heard of it). It's googlin' time.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:53 PM   #9
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Alright, just tried a frittata. Chicken, broccoli, onions, and 6 eggs. Chicken was cooked in the forman, broc and onions sauteed in olive oil. My only problem was getting the eggs to set. It took a very long time, and I ended up eating it a little runny in the end, no biggy for my first time. It was still yummy.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
Brendan,

First: Cool pic.

Second: Before you start making the fritata, preheat your oven to 350-375. When the fritata is close to being done on the stove, but the top is still a little runny, stick it in the oven for a few minutes. This should cook the top without drying out and/or burning the bottom.

Oh, and make sure the pan you're using is ovenproof :-)