CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Carlos Garza

Profile:
programing the WODs

I'm just coming out of shoulder tendinitis and would like to take it easy with anything involving over head pressing. last week we worked the shoulder 4 days in a row. Day one we did thrusters, day two shatches, day three we did HSPU, day four we did clean & jerks. What I would like to know is if this is normal, I think we are doing way to many exercises involving the shoulder and this might have been the reason why I got injured in the first place.

In programing the weekly WODs, how many days a week should we be doing shoulder presses?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: programing the WODs

If you are going to train several days a week using full body methods, it will be almost impossible to avoid using the shoulders.

But in relative terms, most folks can handle loading the shoulders heavily two times a week. This could be shoulder pressing, bench pressing or a WOD full of ring dips. It also depends on your level of strength. If you can OH Press 225lbs, doing thrusters with 95, will be a light load that shouldn't overtax your shoulders. If you can OH Press 135, doing a WOD with 95lb thrusters will be an added stress.

The theory behind hitting the same body part over in over, falls in line with thinking the world won't be so generous as to give you a shoulder day, a leg day and then a back day. In life you might have to use your shoulders intensely everday, say you are a farmer and its the end of the season and you have to roll up giant bales of hay. You don't do it in a 2 days on 1 day off fashion. You do it when the weather allows and as fast as you can so you can get other end of the season work done. Therefore the thought is that if you train in this matter, you'll be prepared for times when life isn't so kind.

As you pointed out the risk of hitting the same area intensely with volume can be injury. The ways to avoid that is to slowly build up the load so you can handle it daily or plan better--say 2 heavy pressing days in the week and 1-2 lower intensity shouldeer movements in a metcon.

If you are training at home, I'd back off on heavy direct shoulder work, do a lot of shoulder rehab work to get blood in the area, then slowly add heavy work back in. If you train at a box, I'd talk to my coach and let him know so he can make some good subs until my tendonitis cools down. What movements don't bother the shoulder--pushups? Neutral Grip Dumbell Presses?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Carlos Garza

Profile:

Robert, That's great advice, thanks!!! I'm doing rehab everyday and I have very little pain, the only thing is that I'm not as strong as I use to be, but I guess that will come back with time. For example, could do around 8 ring dips with out any problems, now I can do one, maybe two. I still feel some discomfort when I do pushups and OH presses.

I work out a BOX and my coach already knows about my shoulder. What I'm going to do is, I'm going tone it down once or twice a week, depending on how I my shoulder feels.

Again, thanks for the great advice!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Glad to help.
Let us know how it goes.