CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Eric Parham

Profile:
Re: New Deadlift PR at 525

Funny, I have a herniated disc. But it wasn't from deadlifting, it was from 15 years ago racing moto-x. I'm sure he knows if his form improved he would be able to lift even more
Old 02-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Eric Parham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Really?? Then you definitely need to practice your DL more if you can't put the weight down without hurting yourself. Re-pressurize at the top, then reverse the movement. The only reason to drop the bar is if you lose your grip....

You're worried about injury b/c that lift was bad, thus trying to reverse it would hurt you. If you kept your back flat and used your hips, and set up the lift properly instead of trying to jerk if off the floor, then you'd have a good movement to reverse to safely set the bar back down.

So:

1. Setup the lift properly. Your form was bad before your hands were on the bar. Look at 00:30 - you back is rounded as you bend down to grab the bar, and then it gets more rounded once you immediately start lifting it at 00:31.

2. Get your chest up and drop your hips. You at 1/4 squat at the most, there's barely any leg drive. You're humping the bar up with your back.

3. Dang, you're going to need more than a belt to fix your back - check out 00:34/35 when you stand up - total opposite back curve of what you want. Scary! 00:36-38 isn't "opening the hips" but rather it's un-curving your back. Not good.

Yeah, I know this is a 1RM, but unless you want it to be your last 1RM you need to train it like all the rest with proper form. If you can't do it with good form then it doesn't count in my book - I've bailed on many lifts because I knew I couldn't do it *right*, not because I couldn't do it.
Yep, yep.
Just thought some good with a hint of bad would do him better.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Dylan Glickman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Parham View Post
Funny, I have a herniated disc. But it wasn't from deadlifting, it was from 15 years ago racing moto-x. I'm sure he knows if his form improved he would be able to lift even more

if your form is flawless , then it isnt a max effort lift period. Go watch any top deadlifters and their form will show a somewhat rounded back. You practice good form so when its time to max out, your form can give somewhat.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Eric Parham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Glickman View Post
if your form is flawless , then it isnt a max effort lift period. Go watch any top deadlifters and their form will show a somewhat rounded back. You practice good form so when its time to max out, your form can give somewhat.
I was trying to be postive...because your lift, weight wise, was impressive.
You said slightly rounded....your was rounded too much.
Vince Urbank, rookie pro strongman, was roomates with my best friend. Take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFEjl4ZQHI

If you notice his back is still arched.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Jonathan Renner

Profile:

Dayum...lots of haters on his dropping of the weight. I say let the guy do what he wants to do. As for the form, I'll let the experts critique that. You don't want advice from a guy whose PR begins with a "4"

Congrats on the PR, Dylan.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
a deadlift should be lowered back to the floor, not DROPPED. In any powerlifting federation that lift would be a NO GO because of both hitching and dropping the weight. If we are going to complete lifts that are used in competitions (Olympic, powerlifting, etc) should we not also emulate the contest performance of those lifts? Don't take it too personal.....
I'm sorry but I disagree with one thing you said here, about lowering the weight. The guy already said that he's got no interest in competing, so I don't know why you use that as an argument.

Then you said that powerlifters do it all the time and miraculously avoid getting hurt.....are you serious?

I don't work at a crossfit gym, I work at a regular gym, one of the programs we run is the powerlifting club, the club is run by someone who was was an ex powerlifter, years he and many of his friends trained and competed. He said his knees, back, and shoulder have had issues ever since, and when he was powerlifting kept on getting worse, only when he stopped did he say did it atleast stayed the same and even got a bit better. I don't know why you think they avoid getting hurt, I know for a fact powerlifters deal with injuries all the time, and some very successful ones have admitted they came back after serious injury, commonly in the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKvoLu5Isk

Go to 2:54, that man is one very popular personal trainer with experience in powerlifting and olympic lifting. He specifically states it's hard on the lower back to lower it to the floor.

If you have the option of dropping it, drop it......with the first lift having good form too of course.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
Evan Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Glickman View Post
There is a higher risk of injury trying to control the lift back to the ground than the actual movement of a deadlift.
Potential injury rate couldn't get higher than what I just saw. Sorry, you posted a video and got back honest opinions.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Andy Luten

Profile:

What happened before the drop was bad enough, regardless of whether or not you should drop.

Your set up needs a ton of work. Others have said it well enough, I won't pile on more.

If you can't lift it right, don't lift it.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #19
Eric Shuty

Profile:

The video was posted "allegedly" with the request for input. Honest input was given. If you think this was a legit deadlift then you need to stop lifting now, go back and re-do a level 1 cert, and sit through one powerlifting contest. Whether you compete or not, THIS WAS NOT A CORRECT DEADLIFT.
END OF STORY.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Re-reading my response, it comes off as a bit harsh, lemme try and summarize in a more friendly tone

You're definitely strong, as you legitimately got that weight off the ground and all the way up. But your form scares us, and most of that lift was executed with your back. The deadlift should have more leg drive - take advantage of all the muscles you can recruit!

I'd strongly recommend dropping your weight down a bunch and retraining with a strict focus on technique. You'll take a hit on your weights for a bit as you correct your technique but once fixed you'll make gains quickly and soon be hitting new PRs with flawless technique. And flawless technique will let you lift healthy for along time