CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Adam G. Young

Profile:
Hailing the row-guru's

Hi folks,

First post, but been reading the forum for about 6 months now. I'm hoping to get some tips on how to improve my row time (aside from the obvious, sit my a** on an erg). At my gym, we were challenged to set 6 specific goals, and we have until Dec 31st to accomplish as many as possible.

One of my goals is to get a 2k row in less than 7 minutes. For perspective, last week I rowed a 7:42, and I would say that was at about 90% effort.

I plan on putting quite a bit of time in the seat, but was wondering if anyone could recommend other exercises that may help get me below the 7 minute mark. Not sure if I should focus on rowing sprints, work with weights, etc. Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Casey Connor

Profile:
Re: Hailing the row-guru's

When I rowed in college we did a lot of 500m-1000m sprints, 10,000m duration pieces, and 20 min intervals of 1 min on/1 off. We also did a ton of stairs. First every step, then every 2 steps, then every 3 steps. Make sure your rowing form is correct. There are many videos on the CFJ showing correct form. If you're at least 6 ft tall a sub 7 min 2k could be attainable. However, if you're 5'6 it will take significantly more effort.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Getting a bigger squat/deadlift/power clean will transfer over to more meters per pull and allow you to maintain an equal or faster pace with fewer strokes per minute. Aside from getting stronger, work your form and your cardiovascular endurance capacity and you'll get faster.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
Ewen Roth

Profile:

We'd need to know more about you (age, height, weight, squat/deadlift/clean max, other endurance or speed markers such as 400m run, 500m row, 5k run, etc.). All these factors can have an influence on your training and racing strategy.

Sub 7 is a reasonable goal for any male athlete ages 20-50, but it may take some time. If your 7:42 was indeed a 90% effort, that means your current best time could be as low as 7:26. The problem is, the faster you go, the harder it gets. The relationship between "Effort" (understood here as the power (Watts) required to move the flywheel) and speed isn't linear. A 7:00 2K erg is 20% "harder" than a 7:26 2K (302 W vs. 252 W).

Fortunately, there's a good chance that you can make great gains just by putting in the meters and improving your technique. If you're already doing CF workouts on a regular basis, just add some longer rows (5k+) for now, focusing on technique and regularity rather than pace, and sub rows for runs during WODs anytime you can.

Nothing will get you faster on an erg better than more time spent erging, but you have 5 other goals to pursue by the end of the year, so depending on what they are and how much they overlap, you're going to have to find time and energy for each of them.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
Nothing will get you faster on an erg better than more time spent erging,
Old 10-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

If you could post a video of you on the erg, I would definitely see if we could improve your form. If you have never been on the water before, I would bet your form could be improved.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Adam G. Young

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
We'd need to know more about you (age, height, weight, squat/deadlift/clean max, other endurance or speed markers such as 400m run, 500m row, 5k run, etc.). All these factors can have an influence on your training and racing strategy.

Good luck!
Here is some info about me: Im 26, 5'11" and weight about 165. Not sure my 1RM squat, but I did hit a PR yesterday for 3 reps @ #245. Deadlift im really not sure...and Clean max is #200. I can run a 400 in 1:10ish, and I did an all out 500M row last week at 1:34. Never ran a 5k.

As you can see these stats areant exactly mind blowing, and I dont have any formal training on an erg so I know my form can be improved. I have been watching the videos on the C2 site, and trying to row 1000M before I do a regular WOD.

What is a common strategy for rowing a 2k? Should I try to maintain a 1:45 split thorughout, or start slow and build up or vice versa? Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Michael Petersen

Profile:

I've been told (by former collegiate rowers) to start at a manageable split time and try to decrease your time slightly each split with a sprint for the last 200M or so. So if 1:45 is manageable, go 1:45, 1:44, 1:43, 1:42 pace for 300M and then bomb out.

Try to get these splits while maintaining low SPM (22-25). Your final sprint should be in the high 30's.

Last edited by Michael Petersen : 10-27-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

I always shot for a stroke rating around 28. The guys I knew who were sub 6:00 were never under 30.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Michael Petersen

Profile:

Sub 6:00 implies that you are a world class 2k rower. Only 6 guys did this at the CRASHB's in 2010 and they were all in the college or U23 class. Those guys are basically sprinting start to finish. Very few people will be able to do that. OP's goal was sub 7. If he doesnt want to burnout in the third split, he needs to pace himself. IMO at least...