CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #51
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: The 405 Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
I'm enjoying all the comments, but what do you guys have to say about my squat? Y'all agree with Chris?
Matt, if you don't alter your style my guess is you will have some significant knee problems in the next few years. You are a strong kid, you can be just as strong and stronger, but you need to protect yourself for the long term. The fact is you are already talking about knee issues. Think about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #52
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: The 405 Squat

Sam can squat big weight
Pat can squat big weight
How much less will Pat squat if he squats like Sam?
How much less will Sam squat if he squats like Pat(ATG)?

This is turning into a dr. Seuss storybook!
Matt squatted an impressive weight with pretty good form and that what this thread is about. Go Matt! And dont forget to do your mobility for your knees.

Last edited by Ian Nigh : 09-20-2011 at 06:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #53
Preston Sprimont
Member Preston Sprimont is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Foothill Ranch  CA
Posts: 483
Re: The 405 Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You know the difference in our opinions on the matter, I have squatted with that much weight. Have you?

The bounce makes a HUUUUGGGEEEE difference.

You are correct, knee wraps help as well. Probably 50-70 lbs. Here is my bet, we put wraps on Pat and don't allow him to bounce. I'll bet he is way short of his 800 lbs.

I DO agree, Pat is a very strong kid. I didn't discredit his lift, I pointed out a fact that gets lost on many.

By the way, Pat puts the bar about the same place on his back as does Sam. Compare the videos if you doubt.
Nope, never squatted that much. Neither have most people in the world, but I can still point it out when I think I see undue discrediting and hyperbolic claims being thrown around.

Okay, I don't want to get tooooo deep into this, nor do I want to hijack the original intent of this thread any more than I already have (this is my last off-topic post ), but I do have to point something out.


The goal of powerlifting is to lift as much weight as possible in the given lift (squat, dead, bench), correct?
Elite powerlifters will do whatever it takes, within the designated rules, to lift as much as they can during a meet, and they continue to find new gear and methods to lift more weight (wider stance, suits, belts, wraps, etc). (By the way, this isn't a veiled critique of powerlifters or geared lifting. It's a fact, and I have no problem with geared lifting and such.)
I have never seen a powerlifter squat ATG or use a bounce at the bottom of the squat during a meet. I just read through the IPF regulations for the squat to double check, and there is no mention in there about it being against regulation, so that's certainly not why.
Now, if bouncing out of the hole does make such a huuuuuuge difference, isn't against meet regulations, and is in fact a way to lift a lot more weight, then why don't powerlifters squat like this? The answer is obvious.. because it is more difficult to squat big weight this way (with a more upright torso, usually a higher bar position, and rock-bottom depth), so it is kind of pointless in a competition in which you are trying to lift as much as possible.
If the bounce really does make such a huge difference such that an 800lb ATG no no no squat with a bounce deserves less praise than an 800lb (I realize Sam squatted 825, this is just for the sake of example) squat to parallel with knee wraps and a belt and no bounce, then I don't understand why more powerlifters aren't using this huge bounce-boost to their advantage.

I don't think it is right to say that Mendes's squat is any less of a feat of strength than any other 800lb squat performed by someone in a similar weight class.

Last edited by Preston Sprimont : 09-20-2011 at 07:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #54
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: The 405 Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
Nope, never squatted that much. Neither have most people in the world, but I can still point it out when I think I see undue discrediting and hyperbolic claims being thrown around.

Okay, I don't want to get tooooo deep into this, nor do I want to hijack the original intent of this thread any more than I already have (this is my last off-topic post ), but I do have to point something out.


The goal of powerlifting is to lift as much weight as possible in the given lift (squat, dead, bench), correct?
Elite powerlifters will do whatever it takes, within the designated rules, to lift as much as they can during a meet, and they continue to find new gear and methods to lift more weight (wider stance, suits, belts, wraps, etc). (By the way, this isn't a veiled critique of powerlifters or geared lifting. It's a fact, and I have no problem with geared lifting and such.)
I have never seen a powerlifter squat ATG or use a bounce at the bottom of the squat during a meet. I just read through the IPF regulations for the squat to double check, and there is no mention in there about it being against regulation, so that's certainly not why.
Now, if bouncing out of the hole does make such a huuuuuuge difference, isn't against meet regulations, and is in fact a way to lift a lot more weight, then why don't powerlifters squat like this? The answer is obvious.. because it is more difficult to squat big weight this way (with a more upright torso, usually a higher bar position, and rock-bottom depth), so it is kind of pointless in a competition in which you are trying to lift as much as possible.
If the bounce really does make such a huge difference such that an 800lb ATG no no no squat with a bounce deserves less praise than an 800lb (I realize Sam squatted 825, this is just for the sake of example) squat to parallel with knee wraps and a belt and no bounce, then I don't understand why more powerlifters aren't using this huge bounce-boost to their advantage.

I don't think it is right to say that Mendes's squat is any less of a feat of strength than any other 800lb squat performed by someone in a similar weight class.
You are wrong, and the beauty of it lies in the fact you seem smug in your inaccuracy.

If you watch raw meets there are people that bounce out if the bottom. MOST do not for fear of blowing out their knees (a legitimate concern).

An O-lifter has to do it because of the nature of the sport. I get that.

You can think what you want, but I think Pat's lift is less impressive than Sam's based upon how they do the lift. BOTH lifts ARE impressive, no doubt.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #55
Paul Coomans
Member Paul Coomans is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rotterdam  Netherlands
Posts: 105
Re: The 405 Squat

One goes to parallel, the other goes ATG. Apples and oranges.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #56
Ian Nigh
Affiliate Ian Nigh is offline
 
Ian Nigh's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kensington  MD
Posts: 948
Re: The 405 Squat

So the only way to settle this is to ask Sam to squat ATG and try to bounce out of the whole. Waddaya think, can he do it with 825lbs? or more?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #57
Frances Ballesteros
Member Frances Ballesteros is offline
 
Frances Ballesteros's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Madrid  Spain
Posts: 774
Re: The 405 Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You know the difference in our opinions on the matter, I have squatted with that much weight. Have you?

The bounce makes a HUUUUGGGEEEE difference.

You are correct, knee wraps help as well. Probably 50-70 lbs. Here is my bet, we put wraps on Pat and don't allow him to bounce. I'll bet he is way short of his 800 lbs.

I DO agree, Pat is a very strong kid. I didn't discredit his lift, I pointed out a fact that gets lost on many.

By the way, Pat puts the bar about the same place on his back as does Sam. Compare the videos if you doubt.
How about Sam goes below parallel?
__________________
I love eating
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #58
Steve Collegio
Member Steve Collegio is offline
 
Steve Collegio's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Staten Island  New York
Posts: 273
Re: The 405 Squat

the fact that Mendes hbbs 800lbs WITH NO BELT, and bounces and nails the lift is MUCH more impressive than the video chris posted who belted, and wrapped his knees. And Mendes is clearly more powerful. The bounce is a critical aspect of olympic weightlifting, doesnt make the lift "easier". The bounce is a learned technique to use less energy to get the weight. either way, 800lbs is 800lbs. (no rack either, BOOM, mind = blown)

/thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #59
Steve Collegio
Member Steve Collegio is offline
 
Steve Collegio's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Staten Island  New York
Posts: 273
Re: The 405 Squat

matt, your lift looked good. the weight never caused you to cave in. good posture, good depth. keep it going
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #60
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: The 405 Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Nigh View Post
So the only way to settle this is to ask Sam to squat ATG and try to bounce out of the whole. Waddaya think, can he do it with 825lbs? or more?
I think his knees would blow as he has not trained for that.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back Squat, Front Squat, Push Press, Deadlift form critique help please? Daniel Frankel Digital Coaching 6 06-21-2011 09:47 AM
Locked Out 405! Rick Kolberg Testimonials 10 11-09-2009 11:50 PM
Well On My Way To 405 Rick Kolberg Testimonials 1 09-22-2009 10:53 PM
405 deadlift! Andrew Dossman Testimonials 13 12-06-2008 05:58 AM
405 SLDL Jerimiah Childress Community 17 10-24-2006 08:15 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.