CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #21
Patrick O'Brien

Profile:
Re: My 7 months progress

Hey,

great body. It's fascinating for me, as I'm exactly the same height as you.

Any plans gaining some weight or you want to stay at your current weight?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #22
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I gotta throw this out there. I hope this isn't taken the wrong way.

I too am battling some excess body fat that I've always had, currently even more than in recent years due to a recent "bulking" period, heh. And I was even considering going low-carb for a long period to lean out. Low-carbing leans people out and it's the easiest way for me... you don't go hungry ever, etc.

But while your pictures show AWESOME progress and you look very ripped - instead of inspiring me to try it out, I actually don't want to take that route. I don't know if the internet or these forums or whatever has changed my way of thinking, but I can't help but find you way too skinny. I mean... you're 178# at 6'2"??? I think Mikko Salo is that same weight # at about 5'8" or 5'9"? And amongst no group of people is he considered "big" or "huge" by any means.

I know comparing oneself to a CFGames competitor is unfair. But leaving performance aside.... just purely from an aesthetics standpoint... I think I just wouldn't want to end up so skinny. Please don't get me wrong, your strength numbers are good and everything! So I give mad props to you for your dedication.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I just re-read my reply and seems I didn't make my point clear enough. I meant to say that if low-carbing leans people out, but leaves them so skinny, maybe one could consider one or two carb "refeeds" a week if that's what it takes to gain some muscle mass?

Or do you think you could gain some more muscle by just upping calories and still eat very low carb? Honest question here.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #24
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

Quote:
Hey,

great body. It's fascinating for me, as I'm exactly the same height as you.

Any plans gaining some weight or you want to stay at your current weight?
At the moment I want to gain as much strength as possible at this body weight and to drop 2 lb of body fat till the end of the year.
Quote:
I just re-read my reply and seems I didn't make my point clear enough. I meant to say that if low-carbing leans people out, but leaves them so skinny, maybe one could consider one or two carb "refeeds" a week if that's what it takes to gain some muscle mass?

Or do you think you could gain some more muscle by just upping calories and still eat very low carb? Honest question here.
I can put more muscle with this way of eating. Just need to take more calories and sleep better. My goal is to be very lean on december 31 this year and to be as strong as possible.
One of the problems with gaining more weight is that I work 60+ hours weekly and not much time to recover.

Last edited by Vasko Naumov : 08-16-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #25
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

1RM Squat from today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiUNu4tleU
Old 08-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #26
Michael Dries

Profile:

I have to say that's impressive work.

I miscalculated your calorie intake initially. I also noticed your circuits don't seem like they are of "crossfit" intensity (i.e. beating the **** out of yourself). But correct me if i'm wrong, I'm extrapolating that from your circuit video above.

So from your programming it looks like it's say to say you mostly lift heavy. Do moderate intensity skill work and a high intensity workout (sprinting) once a week? Seems like a well thought out and sane way to reach your goals. What's your day job? Is it physical?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #27
David Meverden

Profile:

Does no one else see that he's super skinny? His lifting improvements are awesome (getting close to 400 lb back squat at 6' 3", right on!), but he's a rail!

Vasko, if you'd posted your "before" picture I'd probably have said that you should gain 8 kgs of muscle rather than lose any fat. If you had bigger shoulders, chest, and legs, you wouldn't notice a totally normal layer of fat and people around you would just think you were a strong guy. Right now if you are wearing cloths they are just going to think you are a weakish skinny guy, which isn't true.

Of course the above, I guess, is just an aesthetic argument, and aesthetics are personal preference so I guess it's not much more legit than your preference for being skinny and ripped. Then I guess I'll try something else:

Think how much stronger you'd be if you let your body gain a little weight! If you're squatting 170kg now, think of what you could do with 5 or 10 kgs more body weight!

Ah well. To each their own, I guess.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #28
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

Quote:
So from your programming it looks like it's say to say you mostly lift heavy. Do moderate intensity skill work and a high intensity workout (sprinting) once a week?
That's correct, but from September I will change the program towards strength training only.
Quote:
What's your day job? Is it physical?
I work as personal trainer. I teach people how to do: squats, deadlifts, press, pull ups and many more. Some days I'm in the the gym from 7 am to 21 pm.

Quote:
Does no one else see that he's super skinny? His lifting improvements are awesome (getting close to 400 lb back squat at 6' 3", right on!), but he's a rail!
First of all I will make the best out of this body weight. I have reserves on every of the major lifts. I know that 5kg/10lb BW is going to be better, but at the moment my goal is to get the body fat very low till the end of the year.

Quote:
Think how much stronger you'd be if you let your body gain a little weight! If you're squatting 170kg now, think of what you could do with 5 or 10 kgs more body weight!
For me the relative strength is the most important factor. Just with my working hours, lack of sleep this is the best that I can do at the moment.

Quote:
Ah well. To each their own, I guess.
Everyone is deciding for himself.

After 3-4 months I will try another 1RM attempt to see what will happen.
Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #29
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Vasko, are you still around?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:43 AM   #30
Vasko Naumov

Profile:

Quote:
Vasko, are you still around?
Yes.
Thanks for asking.
Just having alot of work and also changing the apartment.
Recently I tested some max ittempts at 178lb BW.

Deadlift: 430lb
Overhead Press: 165.5lb
Strict Pull Up: 95lb/19 reps
Squat: 20 reps with 243lb