CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #51
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Correcting an Air Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Tamara,

Thank you for the push in the right direction. There are not too many meets in the South Dakota neighborhood (definitely more than in AK), so we are looking at later in the year. Colorado has some meets in the summer and early fall, so that may be our goal. If the USAW/CF Open comes around again this year, I will definitely compete.

In the mean time, we are competing in the SD State Powerlifting meet in March. I look at this as the Crossfit equivalent of entering a 5K race. I don't think that I will win, but I do have the chance to set a personal contest PR. I do get frustrated that there are more opportunities for powerlifting than for Oly lifting. Then so many "equipped" contests vs "raw". Give me a break, what is more challenging that lifting heavy weights from ground to overhead?

Good luck in your Master's quest!
Thanks and you're welcome.

I am fortunate because my Oly coach is committed to getting quarterly meets in North Carolina. We already have four set up for this year, so if you fancy a trip to NC http://weightliftingevents.com/ (WFS). We just had a big group become USAW local referees. I'm doing a powerlifting meet here in April also.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM   #52
Jameson Detweiler

Profile:

Didn't mean to cause such a fuss.

Thanks to everyone for the input. Just to be clear, I already do plenty of squats with weight, but I know that some of my fundamentals aren't as good as they should be. Beyond that, I can't do an overhead squat with any reasonable amount of weight. I believe this is related to a shoulder injury, and a general lack of flexibility in my shoulders, both of which I'm working on, but I also believe it's due to less than ideal form in the squat. I do understand that air squats and weighted squats are very different, but I have a hard time believing that none of it transfers. At the very least, I want to know what it feels like to be in a good position at the bottom of a squat.

I plan to continue practicing air squats (and other basic movements) until I've nailed them. I'll do this in addition to the regular programming I do at CrossFit South Philly when I'm home. I'm out of town right now and was looking for some input. My goal isn't to have the perfect air squat. My goal is to understand all of my weaknesses, and systematically work on fixing them. The squat made sense as a place to start.

By the way, I started down this path because of Glassman's Squat Clinic Journal article (http://journal.crossfit.com/2002/12/...g-glassman.tpl). In it he says:

Quote:
When has the squat been mastered? This is a good question. It is fair to say that the squat is mastered when both technique and performance are superior. This suggests that none of the twenty-three points above are deficient and fast multiple reps are possible. Our favorite standard for fast multiple reps would be the Tabata Squat (20 seconds on/10 seconds off repeated 8 times) with the weakest of eight intervals being between 18-20 reps. Don’t misunderstand - we’re looking for 18-20 perfect squats in twenty seconds, rest for ten and repeat seven more times for a total of eight intervals.
I think he's overstating things to make a point, but I want to get my Tabata up to that level. It's a goal of mine to nail form on all of the basics. (I'm actually making a list of all the recommended "baseline" performance from Journal articles and other sources.) Maybe I'm going above and beyond, or too far, but it seems to me that having a a great understanding and feel for the fundamental movements will help in the long run. I'm not letting it hold me back, but I'm interested in it both to improve my performance and to gain a better understanding.

Anyway, in terms of fixing the air squat, I think I'm hearing:
  • Use a closer stance
  • Keep the knees forward & out
  • Get past parallel on squats (this has got to transfer to weighted squats)
  • Butt back
  • Chest up

And again, I'm doing plenty of work with weight and will continue to do so.

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I'm definitely learning a lot from this thread, and it's great to see such a passionate community.

By the way, I did pick up Starting Strength and am digging into it now.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #53
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson Detweiler View Post
I think he's overstating things to make a point, but I want to get my Tabata up to that level. It's a goal of mine to nail form on all of the basics. (I'm actually making a list of all the recommended "baseline" performance from Journal articles and other sources.) Maybe I'm going above and beyond, or too far, but it seems to me that having a a great understanding and feel for the fundamental movements will help in the long run. I'm not letting it hold me back, but I'm interested in it both to improve my performance and to gain a better understanding.
I think Glassman's definition of "mastery" is different from that of people who coach lifters, including world class lifters. I guess it depends on your goals.

As for the overhead squat, that one in particular is *very* different with weight. The need to control even a light weight makes it much more challenging, and will demonstrate errors that you'd never notice with PVC.

Katherine
Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #54
Thomas Green

Profile:

"When has the squat been mastered?"

When you squat 600. End of story.