CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Correcting an Air Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson Detweiler View Post
Hey everyone,

First post here, but I've been CrossFitting for over 6 months now, and I'm trying to start the year off with perfecting my form on all the basics.

I've started a routine that I plan on doing 4-5 times a week:
  • 20 air squats for form
  • 20 overhead squats for form
  • 20 air squats for time
  • 20 air squats with slightly wide stance & straight feet to focus on adductors (I'm noticing my right knee rolling in my heavier squats)

Here's a video of my air squat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnESRRCxb0

I see a lot of problems, but I'd definitely like some outside input.
Welcome, Jameson!

As a relative newbie to CrossFit, I don't think you deserve to be told that air squats don't matter, that they have no carryover to weighted squats, or that your wasting you time practising them. You are right...they are a basic movement and they are absolutely foundational to other movements.

You are losing your lumbar curve on the rapid squats. I think you have the flexibility, but your chest is dropping and your shoulders are coming forward...think chest-up. Your depth is not quite deep enough...your wider stance should help with that, though...try setting up a bench or something that you know is low enough and try some slow squats to it.

Check out some videos...here's a classic...(wfs) http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._AirSquats.mov
Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
Matt Payne

Profile:

By all means do air squats , there is some carryover but please don't obsess too much about them thinking that these will dramatically have a huge impact on your weighted squats. From an air squat standpoint they look fine to me, you lose a bit of lumbar curve but nothing to be too worried about. Maybe try squatting with a little weight and video that and see if there is a difference.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

I would love to know the names of the Olympians, world champions, national champions, whatever, in weightlifting or powerlifting who spent a good deal of time developing their air squats before they ever lifted a barbell. I mean, perhaps I am mistaken and some of these people actually rep out 100 air squats for time because it makes them better at squatting. HAHAHA.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 01-05-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #24
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I would love to know the names of the Olympians, world champions, national champions, whatever, in weightlifting or powerlifting who spent a good deal of time developing their air squats before they ever lifted a barbell. I mean, perhaps I am mistaken and some of these people actually rep out 100 air squats for time because it makes them better at squatting. HAHAHA.
Its not the goal of CrossFit to produce these...its to improve people's GPP and prepare them for life.

Your attempts at getting people to not do CrossFit are getting old.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #25
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Its not the goal of CrossFit to produce these...its to improve people's GPP and prepare them for life.

Your attempts at getting people to not do CrossFit are getting old.
I am in no way attempting to get people not to do CrossFit, Rene.

Part of GPP and being prepared for life is being stronger. CrossFit says so. CrossFit incorporates weightlifting and powerlifting into their programming for that reason. It really doesn't matter if the lifter is an Olympian or world champ or not. Coaching people on how to lift a barbell does not have to involve air squats.

Air squatting is just squatting. People have been doing it since the dawn of time without a problem. You really only need to worry about your form in an air squat when you do it for high reps. And that is because doing any movement with poor form for high reps is not good for your body.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #26
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
I am in no way attempting to get people not to do CrossFit, Rene.

Part of GPP and being prepared for life is being stronger. CrossFit says so. CrossFit incorporates weightlifting and powerlifting into their programming for that reason. It really doesn't matter if the lifter is an Olympian or world champ or not. Coaching people on how to lift a barbell does not have to involve air squats.

Air squatting is just squatting. People have been doing it since the dawn of time without a problem. You really only need to worry about your form in an air squat when you do it for high reps. And that is because doing any movement with poor form for high reps is not good for your body.
Since several CrossFit workouts incl high reps, he should know how to do them correctly...and to say that people have been doing "it since the dawn of time" and then denying their carryover/repercussions to pretty much anything else we do seems inconsistent to me.

...but you don't do CrossFit, so it doesn't really matter does it.

Last edited by Rene Forestier : 01-05-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #27
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Since several CrossFit workouts incl high reps, he should know how to do them correctly...and to say that people have been doing "it since the dawn of time" and then denying their carryover/repercussions to pretty much anything else we do seems inconsistent to me.

And, if you will read my first post, I gave him feedback on how to improve his air squat, since it is a goal of his. However, I refuse to believe that spending 4-5 sessions per week doing 80 air squats at a time will be at all beneficial to him. And, I don't think anyone else who has responded in this thread does either.

When I said that people have been squatting since the dawn of time, I meant that there is no magic to it. Humans are supposed to squat. People squat down to pick up a pen without thinking about it. People squat to sit on the toilet without thinking about it.

My opinion doesn't matter to you. But, it matters to other people. And according to your theory, I should stop listening to all of the CrossFit affiliate owners/coaches whose opinions I value BECAUSE THEY DON'T CROSSFIT EITHER. Lots of people in the CrossFit community take some time off to pursue a specific sport. Some of them come back to CrossFit, some of them don't. It's not a crime.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #28
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
but wait a minute, i thought everything was crossfit? *scratches head*
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

An air squat can be viewed as a scaled down barbell squat. A barbell squat can be seen as a scaled-up air squat. At some point relatively early in the learning procress scaling up from zero pounds should not seem like an outrageous concept. This is especially true with the overhead squat and the front squat, since those lifts are more self-correcting with weight than without.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #30
Thomas Green

Profile:

Rene's just jealous that he can't do the pollo loco air squat as fast as tamara