CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Jameson Detweiler

Profile:
Question Correcting an Air Squat

Hey everyone,

First post here, but I've been CrossFitting for over 6 months now, and I'm trying to start the year off with perfecting my form on all the basics.

I've started a routine that I plan on doing 4-5 times a week:
  • 20 air squats for form
  • 20 overhead squats for form
  • 20 air squats for time
  • 20 air squats with slightly wide stance & straight feet to focus on adductors (I'm noticing my right knee rolling in my heavier squats)

Here's a video of my air squat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnESRRCxb0

I see a lot of problems, but I'd definitely like some outside input.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Correcting an Air Squat

Welcome.

Could people spend hours nitpicking on your form? Yes. Do I think it really matters? No. It's just an air squat. You're not going to end up with rhabdo or a SLAP tear or a bulging disk due to your current air squat form.

But, since you do care to improve, your stance is too wide on all of your squats. You're not getting parallel or past parallel on a lot of the reps. Don't look up at the ceiling. Just focus on shoving your knees out, and that will solve a lot of the problems that you think you have.

Try using a training bar for OHS. Doing OHS with PVC is pointless because it is difficult to feel where the bar is. Adding a little weight helps with that.

I admire your determination, but I will once again say that it is just an air squat. You are doing this 4 to 5 times a week. I vote for using some of that time to put an actual barbell with weight on your back to squat because that has the potential to hugely impact all of your training in a positive way, while better air squats just give you...well...better air squats.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Welcome.

Could people spend hours nitpicking on your form? Yes. Do I think it really matters? No. It's just an air squat. You're not going to end up with rhabdo or a SLAP tear or a bulging disk due to your current air squat form.

But, since you do care to improve, your stance is too wide on all of your squats. You're not getting parallel or past parallel on a lot of the reps. Don't look up at the ceiling. Just focus on shoving your knees out, and that will solve a lot of the problems that you think you have.

Try using a training bar for OHS. Doing OHS with PVC is pointless because it is difficult to feel where the bar is. Adding a little weight helps with that.

I admire your determination, but I will once again say that it is just an air squat. You are doing this 4 to 5 times a week. I vote for using some of that time to put an actual barbell with weight on your back to squat because that has the potential to hugely impact all of your training in a positive way, while better air squats just give you...well...better air squats.
Learning proper air squat form will carry over into the other squats. If you have a bad air squat, it won't get any better by adding weight.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just don't think you should down play having proper form on the air squat.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Sidebottom View Post
Learning proper air squat form will carry over into the other squats. If you have a bad air squat, it won't get any better by adding weight.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, I just don't think you should down play having proper form on the air squat.
Well, I disagree with what you are saying.

Air squat form dictates air squat form. And, that's about it.

There are drastic differences in your body angles when you compare an air squat with a low bar squat, high bar squat, front squat, or OHS.

I'ma stick with my quote from last week. "I just like coaches who understand things like anatomy and anthropometry and gravity."

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 01-05-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Thomas Green

Profile:

You should switch to the breastroke or the moonwalk. Your Cindy rounds would go up like mad.

edit: I see you're from Philly. Since that's the case, I'll give you my serious answer - your form is fine. No need to stress over it so much.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 01-05-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
You should switch to the breastroke or the moonwalk.
Speaking of the moonwalk, this is my new focal point for lifting.

Jameson, this is relevant because if you have a focal point, you won't look up at the ceiling while you are squatting. Having a focal point on the ceiling is only useful when benching.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MJ.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	7377  
Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
Thomas Green

Profile:

Even superior to the king of pop (when it comes to air squatting) is

http://www.datosfreak.org/site_media...Pollo_Loco.jpg

w/f/s
Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Danny Sidebottom

Profile:

Quote:
Well, I disagree with what you are saying.

Air squat form dictates air squat form. And, that's about it.

There are drastic differences in your body angles when you compare an air squat with a low bar squat, high bar squat, front squat, or OHS.

I'ma stick with my quote from last week. "I just like coaches who understand things like anatomy and anthropometry and gravity."
Absolutely, but the squat is more than just body angles.

http://www.drivelinebaseball.com/wp-...t-variants.jpg wfs

The upper body angle is drastically different. But if you look at the squat itself, the butt, hips, legs all have the exact same position. Best/easiest way to develop that position is the air squat.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Jameson, this is relevant because if you have a focal point, you won't look up at the ceiling while you are squatting. Having a focal point on the ceiling is only useful when benching.

Looking up at the ceiling is good for HBBS and FS. Former Chinese national champion in 56kg class lifts at my club and he tells us to shoot our heads up as soon as we come out of the hole.

Not sure about powerlifting back squat.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Sidebottom View Post
Absolutely, but the squat is more than just body angles.

http://www.drivelinebaseball.com/wp-...t-variants.jpg wfs

The upper body angle is drastically different. But if you look at the squat itself, the butt, hips, legs all have the exact same position. Best/easiest way to develop that position is the air squat.
Um. You need to reexamine that figure. The back angle AND hip angle AND knee angle are all different. Promise.

You absolutely do not drive out of the hole the same way on a back squat and a front squat. It's impossible.

Last edited by Tamara Cohen : 01-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.