CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #1
Brian Haggerty

Profile:  
I have been doing CF for a few monthes now and love it. I am a coach of a varsity Boys lacrosse team and I want to begin utilizing CF for my players in hopes to improve their performance. I have a few questions for anyone out there.

1) Is it okay for HS age boys (14-18) to begin CF style workouts?

2) In no way am I comfortable in teaching anyone Oly lifts. Can I sub Oly lifts by using other movements? Would this still make CF as effective?

3) Has anyone trained a sports team using CF and how did the players respond? How well did their performace on the field imporve?(The last CF Journal answered my other 15 or so questions)

Thanks,
Old 06-11-2006, 09:01 AM   #2

Profile:

1) Yes. Mike Burgener, Dan John and I know several others do.

2) Yes - sub other movements for now while you're learning the O-lifts. Ultimately, you should definitely be using them, but I would say for lacrosse, your primary concern will be metabolic conditioning as opposed to super high level power development anyway.

3) John Vernon used to coach the CSU Chico men's soccer team and I know there are a number of others around here I can't think of. I know the Chico team ate it up.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Try subbing the dumbbell versions of the oly-lifts for the barbell versions. They're much more self-explanatory than the barbell version and kick still kick an equal amount of *** for conditioning.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I had a 12-year-old soccer player's mother tell me that she could see absolutely noticeable improvements in her son's practice performance after 3 CF workouts. These workouts mainly consisted of air squats.

The other brother, a 15-year-old, stopped complaining about his knee pain during the day after several deadlift-based workouts. We believe it is a meniscal problem (torn discoid meniscus), deadlifts cause him no discomfort.

Even I was amazed at the speed of the response in these boys. This stuff works.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I have used Crossfit workouts with the students at the private school I work for and I based their entire summer program on a mix of strength-based core lifts followed by Crossfit-style met-con. Same as all above posts, they love it and it WORKS!
Old 06-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
I started training Ga Tech rugby with CF style workouts in the fall of 04, and their on field performance improved markedly. That was with no equipment, using lots of Tabata interval work with squats, pushups, situps, burpees. I also have them do handstands and various rolls in warmup. To this mix I think you need to add sprint intervals.
If you can get them into a gym doing O lifts, you can take it even further. Get a guest coach in to show the movements. Go to a seminar and learn to teach them yourself. It's well worth the investment of time and effort.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #7
Skip Chase

Profile:
I started training HS athletes with CF last Sept. Rugby, football, basketball and wrestling athletes. All have experienced marked improvements.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Brian, try the club coach course for O-lifting instruction...training kids is a focus. You will have the best conditioned athletes on the field, by far. My 10 year old son is taking a 5 day Lacrosse camp this summer, he's been interested for a while (loves football and contact sports) and his interest went through the roof after watching the NCAA Championships! Check out the Crossfit Journal involving group workouts (a Table of Contents is in the FAQs). I would have your school order all back issues of the CF Journal and the Performance Menu for you.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #9
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
I am in the same boat as you brian..I just recently got hired as the head conditioning coach for the Varsity soccer team at my local high school. I plan on implementing CF with these boys, and cant wait to see the results. I'll probably use alot of body weight and sand bags!