CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
I will should be moving to So Cal (Simi Valley area) in March to take a new job as a fire department public safety dispatcher.

I was wondering if anyone could please give me an idea what a typical monthly food bill would run for a single guy?

Thanks,
Ash
Old 01-29-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Don't live in CA so I probably can't be of much help, but I would definately shop at a wholesale club instead. You'll save more money, especially if you eat the same foods day in and day out like pretty much the rest of us here.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Clay Jones

Profile:

Ash, I live in Marin Co, CA. I spend between $250 and $300 a month or so, though some months I spend more. I shop mainly at Trader Joes, Costco, and Whole Foods, with occasional trips to Safeway. Costco here is good for produce and meats, along with some canned stuff. You can probably do it slightly cheaper if you buy a lot of frozen stuff.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
I have heard about Trader Joes. I can't wait to explorer to see what they have.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
it's the gasoline prices that will shock you - produce is pretty reasonable no matter where you shop and Costco and the like are good for meat in bulk (as long as you aren't after grass-fed). There are also farmer's markets in most areas most weekends for produce bargains.

Also - join all of the supermarket "frequent buyer" clubs - and most weeks you'll see a deal from the markets on meat or chicken or fish for card holders - just check the grocery sales flyers that come weekly (Tuesdays I think). Yesterday I got bulk, fresh, boneless skinless chicken breasts at about 1.99/lb as a club card deal. Bone-in thighs & quarters would have been even less I think. I've seen fresh leg quarters at 0.97/lb.

(Message edited by LisaS on January 30, 2006)
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Where are you moving from? California has wonderful fruits and vegetables year around at Farmer's Markets. The variety is fabulous and the prices are much cheaper than most places in the United States too. If you buy in season you can eat very well for very cheap.

You can also try Chinatowns - very fresh fish and shellfish, or ethnic markets, although Simi Valley may be deficient in those areas. We get chicken consistently for less than $.99 a pound at a family owned Mexican market.

Ditto the Trader Joes, but the produce there tends to be overpriced, and not even as good as what you'll find at your neighborhood groccer.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
there are lots of local asian markets that usually have great produce - they may even be out in Simi <g> I know there is a 99 Ranch out in Van Nuys. Cassi is right - local Mexican or Central American grocers also have pretty good produce and meats. And you will be able to get pretty good prices on fish if you go close to the source.

for TJ's, the produce can be pricey, but quite a bit of the frozen stuff is a good deal; most of the time nuts and dried fruits are a good deal as well.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #8
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
Farmer's markets in CoCal=year round. Nice. I go all the time. Good prices.

Avocados are nice and cheap, I can find them 2 for a dollar at Ralph's alot of the time.

Grass fed beef hovers at around $10 for ground, 6.99 for top round. Top round is a nice and cheap cut but not fatty enough. i need fat.

Produce is cheap here. The central valley in CA provides most of the produce for the entire U.S. from what I've heard, this is the garden of eden! One can pick fruit all over town if one knows where to look.

PS- I live in Los Angeles

(Message edited by nothing on January 30, 2006)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #9
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I grew up in Ventura, a short drive from Simi.

If you head out old 118, there are farmer's markets all over. Same for Highway 126, which is accessible, but a long drive. There's bound to be stuff closer.

The only thing I miss about California is the cheap avocadoes. Paying $1 each here in Phoenix absolutely sucks.

However, I'd worry more about the cost of housing than food.

Best of luck!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #10
Antony Ferraro

Profile:
What about wild sodium free salmon in CA?
Whole earth do it, the 'Daves' brand it awesome, but pricey.