CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-04-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I'm assuming (though we all know what happens when you assume) that there are others here at CF like me who use protein supplements in addition to whole foods to meet their protein requirements. I was wondering if any of you have experience in creating custom protein blends. I know of a couple of companies that will allow you to do this, and I'm interested in taking a shot at something that might fit my needs better than the standard products available at GNC, etc.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I've used Protein Factory, but I wasn't terribly scientific. I wanted low-cost blends: one for post workout (fast absorbing), one for before bed (slow absorbing), and one for the morning (mixture of proteins). I was satisfied with the service, price and taste, but I can't tell you that the customizing had any significant effect.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Hey Matt,

I'm not sure about any companies allowing you to formulate your own product, but that sounds like a great idea. Another idea might be taking a straight whey isolate or hydrolysate post workout and then a mix of whey isolate and calcium caseinate for slow digestion during the night to maintain positive nitrogen balance. Check out the NOW sports PDF brochure I have attached for further details.

Jason
Old 08-04-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

ooops!

http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?search_cat_id=5475&cat_id=5475&pg=3&sear ch_tex t=

Just scroll down to sports nutrition and click on the brochure on the right.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Jason, thanks for the links. 2 companies I'm aware of that'll allow you to formulate your own mix:
www.trueprotein.com (limited help/explanation)
www.proteinfactory.com (much more information/suggestions)
Old 08-04-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Matt,

I checked out the build your own feature at the protein factory and it was a cool set up. Although, oddly enough the assistant "Melissa" had the effect of both creeping me out and turning me on. Man I'm spending too much time in front of the computer! LOL!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Got some from Protein Factory, tasted really, really, bad! Went back to Grow!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Larry, just curious...do you remember if you added a particular flavor, used a sweetener, etc. Also, did you have much in the way (get it?!?) of hydrolized whey protein? I understand that the hydrolized whey is very bitter.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
Hey Matt-

I have ordered from Protein Factory a couple of times. This is the formulation I put together:

Ingredients:
25% Aussie Caseinate
50% CFM Whey Isolate
25% Egg White Protein
Additive: Not Entered
Flavor: Vanilla
Sweetener: Stevia
Pounds: 5
Price Per Pound: 8.3

I'm quite satisfied with the product. To me the taste is more palatable than any other protein powder I have used. I also like that they can sweeten it with stevia.

Matt
Old 08-04-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Matt, I did a post workout blend with hydrolized whey protein and malto (back in the day) also added some other whey, I think I flavored it berry or tropical something, it was barely drinkable. I then tried plain old whey, vanalla flavor...not so good. I will say the service reps are great and very helpful. If your about to do somthing stupid, they pull you back. I made the mistake of ordering a boatload, because it was so cheap. Call rather than order on-line and order a small quantity to see if the taste is agreeable.