CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
Ashley Rogers

Profile:
Running and Side Pain

What is the best was to prevent side pain while running?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Running and Side Pain

Diaphragm breathing... which you should be doing
Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
S.S.

Profile:

And more running in general.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
James A Stevens

Profile:

I find breaking the rhythm of your breathing can help, maybe take a couple of slow deep breaths and then back to normal.

I have been running for around 4 years now and still occasionally get that pain but the above works every time.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Willis Holder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Rogers View Post
What is the best was to prevent side pain while running?
I'm not sure how to prevent it, but years ago, I got a tip from a friend on how to remedy the 'side pain'. He told me to keep running, but exhale only when my left foot lands until the pain goes away (I usually take a few strides per breath, so I don't think he meant every time the left foot lands).

I always get the side pain on my right side. I don't know whether or not the 'exhale when left foot lands' trick has anything to do with my left foot or if it simply works because it makes me focus on my breathing.

The reason why doesn't matter as much to me as the fact that this trick has always worked for me whenever I get the 'side pain' while running.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Side pain from running is known as "exercise-related transient abdominal pain" (ETAP). The precise cause of it is not known but there are some studies indicating that pre-run meals are the likely culprit. Food eaten too soon before a run and also, juices and drinks high in carbohydrates seem to increase the likeliness of side cramps.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Side pain from running is known as "exercise-related transient abdominal pain" (ETAP). The precise cause of it is not known but there are some studies indicating that pre-run meals are the likely culprit. Food eaten too soon before a run and also, juices and drinks high in carbohydrates seem to increase the likeliness of side cramps.
That's only some of the time.

Sympathetic shuts down GI tract which squeezes on food causing discomfort, pain etc,

The other time is when muscles get fatigued they start to cramp because of lack of ATP to release actin-myosin head bind = stuck contracting = cramping, pain, etc.

There's a couple other things that go wrong but most of the time if its not food its cramping of either core muscles or diaphragm.

Best thing you can do in most cases is to get blood flowing to it more by relaxing and contracting the muscles hence why diaphragmatic breathing is good (as opposed to chest breathing). Force periods of high vs low pressure to get more oxygenated blood to the area
Old 09-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
You can train your stomach/muscles to eat and run.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Gillian Steele

Profile:

I also get this, but is due to an imbalance in my legs, after surgery, after my knee reco and alignment, it stuffed the biomechanics and my hips and side of my lower back get so painful when I run, absolute killer- not good, any tips on how to prevent this
Old 10-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #10
Paul Vanzavelberg

Profile:

I was told by a veteran runner to contract the abs for a short time when the pain appears : it kinda slows your pace and your breathing but it can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis Holder
I'm not sure how to prevent it, but years ago, I got a tip from a friend on how to remedy the 'side pain'. He told me to keep running, but exhale only when my left foot lands until the pain goes away (I usually take a few strides per breath, so I don't think he meant every time the left foot lands).
Like Willis said, you can also focus on your footwork in a way that fits with your breathing. Not sure if it has to be done with the left or right foot, according to the side of the pain, though.