CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #1
Bill Patton

Profile:
Standards for WOD

This idea initially started in this section so i thought i'd make a quick post w/an update.

The idea was to allow the easy entry of CrossFit (and other) workouts into an online database. Once entered, this database could be used to determine live stats on performance data - like best time, average time, etc. - then allow each person to analyze this data for their own motivational use (pull stats by age or body weight or gender for instance). In my day job I run the Concept2 "ranking" which does this on a very large scale (billions of meters recorded each year - www.concept2.com/rankings).

The crude but improving CrossFit version of this is now at
www.LogsItAll.com

With the first few workouts already logged i can now generate a report for each WOD etc. based on entered data.

The most popular workout entered so far has been "Helen". The performance distribution for all entered Helen Workouts is as follows:

Mins Seconds
8 32
9 31
9 48
9 55
9 58
10 20
10 30
10 42
11 8
12 4
12 26
12 58
14 3
22 35
23 15
24 2

The next step will be to develop the right sort of 'reports' - make them available online in real time, and then hopefully increase the number of entered workouts to start making the number meaningful. Advice, suggestions, bug report etc. are all welcome - wkpatton@aol.com, PM or post.

thanks!

-bill patton
Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Re: Standards for WOD

Bill, this looks good. I've been entering my data, as well.

Do you want us to log all benchmark workouts or just our best? Unless your report feature only separates the top workout from each person, we might be polluting your data.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Bill Patton

Profile:

gant - you've hit on a critical issue. For the moment i'd recommend putting everything in - using it as a catch all Log.

I'll work on the back end to pull 'best' performances from each users log book to calculate the true average and 'best' times for each avtivity.

Within the Concept2 Log I require each user to take an action (click "rank") in order to submit what they consider to be their PB or PR to the rankable lists. Only then do i use their time to calculate stats. At some point i'll have to add a similar feature to LogsItAll.

Because this Log is just getting started i thought i'd simply report aggregate data until we get enough data to start dividing it up some more...

-bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Bill, this looks good. I've been entering my data, as well.

Do you want us to log all benchmark workouts or just our best? Unless your report feature only separates the top workout from each person, we might be polluting your data.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Patton View Post
gant - you've hit on a critical issue. For the moment i'd recommend putting everything in - using it as a catch all Log.

I'll work on the back end to pull 'best' performances from each users log book to calculate the true average and 'best' times for each avtivity.

Within the Concept2 Log I require each user to take an action (click "rank") in order to submit what they consider to be their PB or PR to the rankable lists. Only then do i use their time to calculate stats. At some point i'll have to add a similar feature to LogsItAll.

Because this Log is just getting started i thought i'd simply report aggregate data until we get enough data to start dividing it up some more...

-bp
Bill, that sounds good. The user self-ranking takes some work off your shoulders, gives you a good amount of data for your reports, and allows users to keep logs of their progress.

It might also be helpful to capture the number of people submitting scaled workouts (1 per profile). If 70% of crossiftters are doing rx's workouts, and those are the only numbers being measured, then the data will be skewed.

Again, I don't know the programming side of this. Hopefully it would be easy to accommodate.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Bill,

Love what you've done so far. I'm starting to log as of yesterday. Just wanted to thank you for all your work.

Scott
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Bill Patton

Profile:

scott - glad you are enjoying it. Wait until i finish the stats reporting module! Also on the 'to do list' - a "sharable link" - essentially allowing you to have (with permission) a link you can share with friends/coach's allowing them to view a data summary so you can easily share your progress with others...

-bp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Bill,

Love what you've done so far. I'm starting to log as of yesterday. Just wanted to thank you for all your work.

Scott
Old 09-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
Richard Meller

Profile:

Bill,
This is great. Thank you for all your hard work.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Chad McBroom

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Standards for WOD

Great Work! This is an awesome concept! I love the idea of being able to view the stats so that I have an idea of how well I'm doing overall. Keep up the good work.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #9
Tom Ellison

Profile:

Awesome work, keep it up. This is a great idea, your effort is much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:49 AM   #10
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Bill,

This is a great idea.

Separately, let me compliment you on the new improved C2 log and rankings. I've been rowing less than I used to for several months and hadn't put any meters up on on my online log since March until yesterday. The auto-upload feature is particularly nice. I've stayed away from the C2 Forum since the Chad-Dwayne debacle (didn't need the personal abuse), so I didn't realize the changes you were making.

I'm looking forward to using this. Thanks very much for doing this.