CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 04-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Personal email from Mark Twight

*You can link to it but ...

Mark Twight
... you can't re-post this article: QUALITY Quality, Quantity or a fast Time ...

7:52 PM (2 hours ago)
Mark TwightLoading...
7:52 PM (2 hours ago)
Mark Twight
to me

show details 7:52 PM (2 hours ago)

... you can't re-post this article:
QUALITY
Quality, Quantity or a fast Time on the Stopwatch

It is clearly explained here:
http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php?id=18

Specifically, "you can view and even download the information for
personal, non-commercial use. But don't use my copyrighted material to
earn you money and stature. Or to pretend you are affiliated with us."

Please take it down.

Mark

randyt@sectcrossfit.com
to Mark

show details 8:03 PM (1 hour ago)

I'll honor your request Mr. Twight, but it's sad that you're acting this way about it. I never claimed it was my material and wasn't trying to gain stature from it. I clearly cited you as the source at the end of the article. It was actually putting you and your program on a pedestal. I can clearly see why you and Glassman had a falling out. It's cool though that a little garage gym like mine makes you feel threatened. Have nice night.

Randy Tarasevich

Mark Twight
to me

show details 9:13 PM (51 minutes ago)

Randy,

The reason I wrote is simple: you didn't bother asking before
re-posting. Instead you assumed.

Thank you for removing the article from your site.

Mark*

I'm posting this for a couple of reasons:

1. I didn't do this to try and be "hardcore" or a basass or anything. It was honestly how I felt.

2. A thread about borrrowing others material from their websites/blogs was posted a couple of weeks ago. The general consensus, from what I recall since I can't find it, was that it was OK to use someone else's material if you gave them credit for it. Some people had replied that you should get permission first. But the vast majority were like "yeah, go ahead and cite it, don't claim it as yours, but use it."

3. I thought it was funny that Mark had nothing better to do than police the Internet for people using his material.

4. It confirms my previous suspicion that Twight is a major league dickface.

5. Maybe sometime it is better to ask. Some people really take IP seriously, even if it's not really new or important material.

It's very interesting how Mark seems to imply that the content of the work is important enough to warrant protecting, as if it's new material and not derived from another source. Yet in his interview in Outside magazine last year, where the embedded reporter went to one of his seminars, he claims that Glassman basically had no right to get so upset about his program because both CF and Gym Jones "are all derivitives" of similar sources.

Last edited by Randy Tarasevich : 04-07-2009 at 08:18 PM.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Noah Martin

Profile:
Re: Personal email from Mark Twight

I'm lost.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

So, Twight emailed you and politely asked you to remove his content from your business' website (which is well within his legal right) and you argue with him and attack his character before complying, then claim he's the dick?

Wow.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I don't know Randy, seems like Mr. Twight was conveying a threat with that webpage. I don't know if I'd be scared or maybe file charges Those of us who have lurked here for a while will be not suprised by this. I also predict a new entry to the bucket list here shortly.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
Jeff S Johnson

Profile:

Sorry, but this is dead wrong:

2. A thread about borrrowing others material from their websites/blogs was posted a couple of weeks ago. The general consensus, from what I recall since I can't find it, was that it was OK to use someone else's material if you gave them credit for it. Some people had replied that you should get permission first. But the vast majority were like "yeah, go ahead and cite it, don't claim it as yours, but use it."

If it's copyrighted explicitly (and all of the Gym Jones stuff is), you are violating the law when you do this. Even if it is not explicitly copyrighted, you're still violating the law.

Now, if you're violating copyright in some not-for-profit manner, you might stand a chance if it ever went to court. Putting it on (I assume) the page for your box would definitely not fall under this category.

This is a subject that I know a lot about and is important to me. I publish a web site covering Oklahoma State U. sports. People pay for my service and the stories and photos we provide. And it sucks when someone thinks it's "ok" to do if they just cite where it originated (though often that doesn't happen with the cut-and-pastes). It's stealing. And I've had photos pulled off of my site, slapped on sports cards and marketed. I didn't get paid anything for that, and on top of it all the cards constituted an NCAA violation that could have robbed a young man of his eligibility to continue playing football. Fortunately, the NCAA realized it was just a shady company trying to make a buck and no one got in trouble.

Bottom line is: if you didn't create it, you don't have the right to use it. Generally speaking, if you use a small portion (<20%) of someone else's writing on your site and provide a citation and direct link, you'll stay in the clear. Outright cutting and pasting of entire articles is wrong, not to mention in violation of copyright laws.

Twight may well be a p***k, but he's not wrong here.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

I don't see this going anywhere...but the bucket.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)