CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Scott Borre

Profile:
100-0 : Your thoughts?

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

These huge scoring differences and then a backlash is seemingly happening several times a year in various sports. Personally, I'm kind of tired of the stories.

The lesson in this should be that A) this match never should have happened, and B) If you have a problem with losing 100-0, then don't play the game.

I almost feel bad for the team that won. I've dominated in sports like that before. It was fun at first, until you realized there was no competition. At that point it became a mindless bore.

I respect the losing school's desire to compete despite everything that works against them. However, they can't expect for teams to 'let up.' Its a sport. There are losers. If you can't handle that, don't play.

This goes to college football and the hatred of teams 'running up the score.' Tough. Its not disrepectful. It would only be disrespectful if they gave less than 100% against you.

Last edited by Joshua Murphy : 01-23-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: 100-0 : Your thoughts?

Wait, the losers get invited to a mavericks game? WHat hell, when did we start rewarding those that lost? I don't think the winners should go either, I mean they beat a team not nearly as talented as they were, but what the hell.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
George Noble

Profile:

Big surprise - and article full of comments from parents, coaches and directors and then this from one of the girls that actually played on the losing team

"Even if you are losing, you might as well keep playing," said Shelby Hyatt, a freshman on the team. "Keep trying, and it's going to be OK."

It says it all really.

I've been on teams that got this kind of thing every week. In two Rugby games out of the three that I've played we've lost more than 50-0, in more cricket games than I can count we've been all out for less than 50, and I've been in a football team that was beaten over 5-0 many times. That stuff just happens to small schools. Can someone write an internet article about me?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Paul Sousa

Profile:

I'm guessing part of it is that it's a Christian school. Without trying to turn this into a religious thread, I am assuming it must be embarassing for them as it definitely does not express humility or mercy.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
Murph DeVane

Profile:

That seems logical. Its funny how parents, coaches, and the like are always trying to protect their children from 'painful experiences' when really all that does is hinder personal growth. When that kid gets out of high school he/she will have a tough time coping with the occasional ruthlessness of life.

Maybe that is why we have crossfit?! Ha. By the way, George, what position(s) do you play most often?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Scott Borre

Profile:

Oh yeah.. the link is WFS.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Personally, I'm a fan of running up the score and piling on the points. Everyone should play to the best of their ability for the entire game, no one should be expected or forced to play less than his or her best. The only people at fault are those who scheduled a game against a high school consisting of 20 special needs students.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #8
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

I recall in high school, we were set to play a team that had lost 89 - 0 the previous week.

In practice, some of the players started joking we didn't even need to show up, because the team was obviously composed of losers.

Our coach overheard this, sat us all down, and gave us a lecture. Paraphrased from memory, the basic theme was this:
"I have more respect for that team than I do for you guys. It's easy to show up for the games when you're winning all the time. But think about how hard it is to constantly show up to practice, to games, even to school the next day, when all you do is get your butt kicked. That takes real guts. You don't have to like them, but you sure as hell better respect them. I know a lot of you guys wouldn't make it through the season if we had their record."

I found it a very valuable lesson, even though I wasn't one of the guys making fun of the other team.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Jason Hicks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Jones View Post
Personally, I'm a fan of running up the score and piling on the points. Everyone should play to the best of their ability for the entire game, no one should be expected or forced to play less than his or her best. The only people at fault are those who scheduled a game against a high school consisting of 20 special needs students.
Exactly I hate it when coaches change their gameplan to keep from running up the score. I am all about putting in the second third and fourth stringers but play the game that got you there.

Also in high school football we were up during one game 70-0 at the half and the starters had been out since the end of the first half. The opposing teams coach asked our coach if they could just run the clock the second half. So we played the second half with no clock stoppages and ended up winning 84-0.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #10
Michael Houghton

Profile:

The way I see it, some coaches are out there to disrespect others by running up the score. On the other hand, I know that there are winners and losers. I played many years of football. We were good in High School, we sucked in college, and there was a mix of teams in the NFL. If you really feel like you need to run the score up, what are you proving? Sometimes teams are not as good as you think when you schedule them, and end up being excellent. We played against Oregon State in college, and they were unranked. They spanked us, and ended up being number 8 in the nation that year. That is the price you pay, however, for trying to get a program to the next level. If I were a head coach would I run up the score? I think I would make sure we were winning enough and then put in backups. The reason for changing the game plan is not to ease up on the other team, sometimes the backups are not as prepared as the starters for all of the plays. The team I coach for has many kids that really benefited from getting in the game, but would have screwed up royally if we had kept the same game plan. There is simply not enough time in the week to get everyone on the team all of the reps at positions that they "might" be playing. I think that whoever you put in is going to play their hardest, or else they wouldn't be playing sports at all. If it ends up that all of your backups are kicking tail as well, so be it. It has nothing to do with feeling sorry for the other team. There is some sort of respect and sportsmanship that goes along with playing sports. Do we as CrossFitters walk out of the gym when others are still finishing the WOD? No. We cheer others on until they finish. There is nobody at the CrossFit games that sat there and talked trash until others finished. I think that it comes down to sportsmanship. There are some people out there with zero respect for others. Do all coaches that run up the score have no respect? No, but I think this is where people get upset.

Like I said, I know there are winners and losers. I have no problem with losing, I've been on that lopsided losing team too. It hurts, and it sucks. it also made me a better player and person to have experienced it.

My .02