CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
I See Old People

Yea! You found us in this new thread. OK, start posting....

For anyone new, this thread is a discussion forum for, um, how shall we say...um...older CF-ers. There's no exact age limit...you know if you're "older!"

All comments welcome...post your workouts, your issues, your questions, goals, etc..
Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Terry Carey

Profile:
Re: I See Old People

Hi all!
My name is Terry and I am 52 years old.I am about 2 months into CF and am loving every minute of it. I came from a traditional bodybuilding regimen and after competing in the sport for 13 years I just go tired of it.I also like to run however the constant pounding has slowed that progress.Another passion of mine is skiing.I teach this sport at Okemo Mt,Vt in the winter.
As for CF,I have definatly made some progess but compared to the younger pups sometimes I feel...well for lack of a better word ...frustrated! I am competetive by nature and there is no way I can put in some of the numbers and times of these whippersnappers! But I am coming to accept that and it's more than most folks my age are doing!
Hope you all are making some great progress!

T
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Carey View Post
Hi all!
My name is Terry and I am 52 years old.I am about 2 months into CF and am loving every minute of it. I came from a traditional bodybuilding regimen and after competing in the sport for 13 years I just go tired of it.I also like to run however the constant pounding has slowed that progress.Another passion of mine is skiing.I teach this sport at Okemo Mt,Vt in the winter.
As for CF,I have definatly made some progess but compared to the younger pups sometimes I feel...well for lack of a better word ...frustrated! I am competetive by nature and there is no way I can put in some of the numbers and times of these whippersnappers! But I am coming to accept that and it's more than most folks my age are doing!
Hope you all are making some great progress!

T

Hi Terry,

I know what you mean about the young'uns here. I'm also very competitive, but I have to remind myself that I'm old enough to be these people's mom, and to not get frustrated over how fast they go, or how much weight they lift. (darn them all )

Like you, I figure I'm doing better than most people my age! I still set some good goals and push myself to get stronger. But, I'm careful not to get injured, and I'm careful to let my body rest more. I can't keep up with the 3/1 schedule...it exhausts me!

I've also been doing CF for 2 months, and I'm amazed at how little time I actually spend working out, and yet, what good shape I'm getting in.

Terry, if you feel like it, you can add a "signature" line to your posts. You can put your age, M or F, height, weight, and anything else you want to share.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

I'm 38. Not really old, but feel it this time of year (horrible allegies in regards to Asian Lady Bugs). I've been strength training for 26 years. Competed in my first powerlifting contest at 14. Also compete in Lumberjack Sports/Timbersports and have done so since I was 8.

Current training regimen is very similar to catalyst athletics - alternating waved/periodized olympic lifting days with met-con days. My met-con days are normally event training of some sort with some GPP Conditioning afterwards.

No real issues other than time constraints and I love to eat.

No real questions as I have a plan and a coach that helps me plan everything out, including my love for food. Well, he guilts me more than anything.

My goal is to be the best timbersports athlete I can be. Long term goal is to be a bit lighter, a bit quicker, and a bit more athletic.

All the best,
Arden
Old 10-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:

We have a ton of "older" clients. The ones that have been with us a while put new "younger" folks to shame. Actually a selling point (and a point that scares some away) is when they come in for their first workout and get smoked by these "older" folks. Yeah, over time youngins have the advantage, but as an older crossfitter you will be far ahead of anyone else in your age group, and far ahead of most folks 30 years younger.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
We have a ton of "older" clients. The ones that have been with us a while put new "younger" folks to shame. Actually a selling point (and a point that scares some away) is when they come in for their first workout and get smoked by these "older" folks. Yeah, over time youngins have the advantage, but as an older crossfitter you will be far ahead of anyone else in your age group, and far ahead of most folks 30 years younger.
Great! Because I'd like to kick a** when I do my first sprint triathlon next year! Well, at least kick a** in my age group
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Terry Carey

Profile:

I hear you! There have been some newer folks and yes I am ahead of them for now! Got to keep going! Nancy I am running a 5k on Thanksgiving which I would like to win for my age group.I have been toying with 2cd and 3rd places for a couple of years now.Hopefully all this metcon work will help me run faster!

T
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #8
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

Unlike some of today’s youngsters, many of us “older” CF’s have been doing some sort of training or sports since we where in our teens. I was involved in Track & Field events; shot put, 35lb weight throws 50 yard dash, bicycling and many forms of weight training. Then 20 years in the Army and all there versions of Physical training (good and bad) I remember my high schools first universal machine, and when the nautilus machines arrived.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Carey View Post
I hear you! There have been some newer folks and yes I am ahead of them for now! Got to keep going! Nancy I am running a 5k on Thanksgiving which I would like to win for my age group.I have been toying with 2cd and 3rd places for a couple of years now.Hopefully all this metcon work will help me run faster!

T
Stop posting, and start training....aaaargh......

I hope you break your 2nd and 3rd place curse!!!!

I go back and forth between thinking that I'll be happy to just finish the sprint tri, and thinking that I would really like to get a 3rd place finish. Since it'll be my first one, I hate to put pressure on myself, but I just keep visualizing how cool that would be to place in my first one. I was so competitive as a kid, that, after my brother won his first sports trophy, I was just so jealous, that I could not wait to win my first trophy. sick minds kick butt
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Nadeau View Post
Unlike some of today’s youngsters, many of us “older” CF’s have been doing some sort of training or sports since we where in our teens. I was involved in Track & Field events; shot put, 35lb weight throws 50 yard dash, bicycling and many forms of weight training. Then 20 years in the Army and all there versions of Physical training (good and bad) I remember my high schools first universal machine, and when the nautilus machines arrived.
Pete, you sound like you're older than the wind! LOL

I'm kind of the same...started when I was 8 or 9 with competitive swimming, basketball, and softball. I've always ridden my bike a ton, just for fun. In college I started recreational skiing and tennis and frisbee (is so a sport). I just love being active!

I think it's a bit easier for those of us who always did sports, to want to continue being active as adults. I know for some people, it's a whole new world to put on spandex and bust a move!