CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Zack Quilici

Profile:
An idea like Crossfit New England-loans for membership

Was Watching againfasters business panel videos and noticed a neat idea or somewhat of a smart idea!

The owner of Crossfit NewEngland decided to get his startup cost for his gym through trading year/lifetime memberships according to the amount that was loaned!

So for me it sounds like an awesome idea to get started! I think I'm going to ditch the route of an investment due to the investors being complicated and not really having the same passion to change peoples lives also know as Crossfit! hah

Was wondering if anybody else has had this same success with this kinda of strategy to get it started

1. you get your startup cost
2. it automatically supplies you with members once the door is open, even if they aren't paying, still has the opportunity to market with non paying members.

I'm thinking of doing a rate of 125 a month for my gym
what do you guys think about if i get a 1000$ loan then get a 1/year for free at my gym 2000$/2 years or 1.6

whatever you are thinking is highly appreciated!!
thanks
zack!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Zack Quilici

Profile:
Re: An idea like Crossfit New England-loans for membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Quilici View Post
Was Watching againfasters business panel videos and noticed a neat idea or somewhat of a smart idea!

The owner of Crossfit NewEngland decided to get his startup cost for his gym through trading year/lifetime memberships according to the amount that was loaned!

So for me it sounds like an awesome idea to get started! I think I'm going to ditch the route of an investment due to the investors being complicated and not really having the same passion to change peoples lives also know as Crossfit! hah

Was wondering if anybody else has had this same success with this kinda of strategy to get it started

1. you get your startup cost
2. it automatically supplies you with members once the door is open, even if they aren't paying, still has the opportunity to market with non paying members.

I'm thinking of doing a rate of 125 a month for my gym
what do you guys think about if i get a 1000$ loan then get a 1/year for free at my gym 2000$/2 years or 1.6

whatever you are thinking is highly appreciated!!
thanks
zack!

Loans from friends and family that is ha
Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Andrea Ager is doing a fundraiser like that, people pay up front for memberships, she gets seed money to fund the startup of the gym:

http://www.indiegogo.com/ProjectAgerBomb

wfs
Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
Zack Quilici

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Chollet View Post
Andrea Ager is doing a fundraiser like that, people pay up front for memberships, she gets seed money to fund the startup of the gym:

http://www.indiegogo.com/ProjectAgerBomb

wfs

That's is one of the coolest sites I've ever been to!

Good for her!! The only difference is that I only need about 10 thousand because I have a business partner that is putting 10 also, and reno/sparks nevada is way cheaper than Santa Monica!!

I'm definitely going to donate to her cause, it's absolutely wonderful!
Go andrea!
Thanks for sharing that!! And making me realize that my dream
Is not to far away )
Old 07-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

If they give you $1000, how do they get the money back? The definition of a loan is that they get the money back at some point.

If they pay you $1000, and they get a year, all you did was have them pay $1000 for a year membership.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Zack Quilici

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
If they give you $1000, how do they get the money back? The definition of a loan is that they get the money back at some point.

If they pay you $1000, and they get a year, all you did was have them pay $1000 for a year membership.

Am I missing something?
Brian i really have noticed your involvement in this section and just wanted to say thank you! for all advice or criticism that was needed! just trying to make my dream come true!

Im in the middle between just selling memberships upfront
or actually getting them to loan me the money in return they get a year membership and there money back within 2 years or something like that

also thinking about selling t shirts in a scale like this

100$- t shirt and one month free
75$- t- shirt and 5 classes
50$- t shirt and an hour personal training
Old 07-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

We offered lifetime memberships. It's a risk for the buyer, versus a loan; but we offered that. To be honest, no one bought in the first year, we charged $3000. Like I said, I don't know how many people would actually do that....but we've recently sold 2, soon to be 3 lifetime memberships while entering our 3rd year as an affiliate. The cost is now $5000.

Just a thought.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Gus Baldwin

Profile:

Ben from Crossfit New England is a smart cookie.

We are offering 15 founding memberships upfront. Just like you used to join a gym pre direct debits.

Working well so far, only issue is having the right people who are committed to CF and good community minded people. They will be your heart and soul in your box, so no F... Wits permitted or need apply.

Good Luck.

Gus

Ps: The amount is up to you, charge what you think you need and then double it. You will soon sort the Tyre kickers out from the fire breathers.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
John Swanson

Profile:

Any chance you can post the link. I would like to watch the video and can't find it. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Gus Baldwin

Profile:

Was that to me John? If it was, there isnt one!

We sit down "one on one" over a long black and explain the opportunity they are being given and then leave it at that.

Its up to them to decide to go ahead with it. No pressure or sales spin, just the cold hard facts and the rewards and satisfaction they will get from being a key part of our community.

Remember, its not about the money! Its the features, benefits and feeling they will receive. The money is irrelevant!

Cheers

Gus