CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
Greg Light

Profile:
Questions about Chains

I am working on making a holder for chain on my barbell with an old set of collars.

It works good so far, but I am wondering how long I should have the chains cut. I will be using them for squatting and deadlifting primarily.

I am 5' 10" if that helps.

The idea will be to have a carabiner mounted to the collar and a bunch of 1/2 inch chain from home depot cut so that more or less chains can be put on the carabiner to get to the desired weight, I don't want to have the chain cut though and have it be the wrong length.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
Kevin Mueller

Profile:
Re: Questions about Chains

Are you thinking of attaching the chain directly to the carabiner? I actually prefer to use about 2' of wire rope, like in the picture below (not me, by way, but that is how mine is set up). Set the length of the wire rope so that at the bottom position nearly all of the chain is on the ground, and at the top position all but a few links are off the ground. Leaaving a few links on the grounds will prevent the chain from swinging and pulling you off balance.

I use 5' sections of 1/2" chain, each section is about 28 pounds.

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/i...k_8k_chain.jpg
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Paul Rivers

Profile:

Greg,

I am no expert with chains, but I have used them some. Everything I did, I copied from what EliteFTS recommended, and used one chain as a variable length adjustment chain. One end is looped around the bar, the other end has an oval snap hook. In the snap hook, I attach 5' chain lengths at their mid-way point. You can do this with an S-hook, or if you don't mind spending $10, get a collection of spring links, such as these (wfs):

http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Spring_Link_p/mspl.htm

Before loading the 5' chains, the idea is to have that adjustable length chain from the bar long enough so the 5' chain ends are just touching the floor. That'll obviously be different for the squat than the bench, for example.

I've not really done this with deadlifts, but instead did things like rack pulls, etc., so I've no practical experience there.

Here's a photo from EliteFTS that shows the idea (wfs):

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=698
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
John Milgram

Profile:

To attach my setup to the bar, I start with a spring collar.

(safe) http://www.ironmanfitness.com/images...ing_collar.jpg

Attach a length of 3/16 chain by carabiner (or spring link) to a loop of the collar. Use another carabiner to attach your working load chain to the 3/16 chain at the point where you want it.

For my load chain, I bought 30 feet of 3/8 chain at HDepot. I had them cut it in half at the store. Each length is about 21 pounds. I triple-up the lengths to get the amount I want to move off the floor (looks like the picture at EliteFTS). It's bunched up, but it works.