CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
The Westside Book Of Methods

I was just wondering if anyone has opinion on this book: f/w safe "The Westside Book Of Methods" ... I guess it just has to be good... but still...
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Joey Powell

Profile:
Re: The Westside Book Of Methods

It is a collection of all his PDF articles, in a somewhat coherent form.

No real programing advice that you can plug-and-chug with.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Kevin Mueller

Profile:

Its mostly a collection of his older articles, most (all?) of which you can find for free online.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

I have the EFS Basic Training E-book. It basically tells you how to train Westside style. I guess it's useful if you're into using bands, chains, etc.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
michael Galietta

Profile:

At the risk of incurring the wrath of Westsider's...I watched the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" which was about steroids. Good movie.

The founder of Westside was pro-steroids in the movie. I can't help but feel steroids are cheating and lose respect for those who use them. I also lose respect for their training methods.

The movie was amazing in all the excuses people used to justify steroids. There must have a dozen or more different excuses....people rationalizing the most egregious things away but only kidding themselves.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Powell View Post
It is a collection of all his PDF articles, in a somewhat coherent form.

No real programing advice that you can plug-and-chug with.
Exactly. It's even less plug-and-chug as it relates to CrossFit.

That said, there is a sh:t ton of gold to be panned out of those articles. And for me it beats printing them out on sheets of paper that end buried in a drawer.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael Galietta View Post
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Westsider's...I watched the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" which was about steroids. Good movie.

The founder of Westside was pro-steroids in the movie. I can't help but feel steroids are cheating and lose respect for those who use them. I also lose respect for their training methods.

The movie was amazing in all the excuses people used to justify steroids. There must have a dozen or more different excuses....people rationalizing the most egregious things away but only kidding themselves.

Thank you. This has been on my mind since last weekend after I watched the documentry. A friend recomended it to me and said it would change my perception on steroids, it actually did the opposite. I found it to be the same old argument and the same people do the fighting. We need steroids to get big and strong.....hear me roar.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Jason Beck

Profile:

I've been powerlifting for about 15 years and have followed the westside program (drug free) for probably half of those years. The book was a Christmas present this year and I'm disappointed. Louie isn't a very fluent writer and it was difficult for me to follow the book and come up with a good program. He contradicts himself several times in the writing and never gives a clear picture of their programming. My recomendation would be to dig up his articles on the internet and read through the elitefts website. Between the two sources you will get a much clearer picture of what the westide program is all about.

While I don't consider myself a crossfitter, I do incorporate some crossfitting into my workouts. I know the westside stuff could easily be incorporated by a crossfitter.

Jason
Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael Galietta View Post

Dang, you stole my thunder... I saw documentary as well. I wouldn't have anything to do with an organization that is so blatantly pro-steroids. So I would never purchase this book you speak of.

F' the wrath of the west siders. Those guys can bench and squat a crap load but I'd get in the ring with anyone of them. There shoulders and hips are so tight they couldn't throw a hard punch. Even if they could, it would be like slow motion. What is he going to try to shoot on me. AGain like slow motion. Sprawl on his fat a** and beat the crap out of him or take his back and choke him since he probably has like this enourmous deformed head from his years of HGH, to the point you could pound on it all night and you would just break your hand.

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind. I was just speaking of the stereotypical westside barbell guy like the one's I saw in Bigger, Stronger, Faster.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Beck View Post
.... Louie isn't a very fluent writer and it was difficult for me to follow the book and come up with a good program. He contradicts himself several times in the writing and never gives a clear picture of their programming...
Was Louie the old guy they interviewed in bigger stronger faster?